My latest artsy comp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My latest artsy comp

My latest artsy! This one combines three original images I took several years ago into a composite using layers and layer masks. The original window shot was skewed into a flat perspective and the left side window framed restored by cloning the right side.

The storm cloud sky had a bit of lens flare applied to match the location where the window's sun reflection is. The sparse-cloud sky layer was scaled vertically to compress the clouds at the top of the composition. A layer mask was used to blend the cloud images together, and a drop shadow was added to the window layer.

What I like about this piece is the "lucky accident" where it looks like the sunset is coming through the window, but that's actually a reflection from the opposite direction.
    Attached Files

Re: My latest artsy comp

Or maybe with water on top?
    Attached Files

Comment

Plugs, Both look pretty fine!

Comment

Thanks! The thing about artsy, too many options... ;-)

Comment

Great shot; really like it. The first one, that is; not so keen on the water, it just doesn't seem to fit whereas the first image has an intrigue about it, like it really is a window into the sky. Great work!

I'm just getting into photo-compositing. As a pro photographer of more than 30 years I've mostly been used to building sets or finding locations for my work; I'm only just realising what can be achieved with photo-compositing a concept from scratch. This is an inspiration to me :-)

Comment

Thanks Frank, I agree, the original concept was better. The problem with compositing is like recording a song or painting a picture, you have to know what to leave in and what to leave out, and especially when to stop!

But I hope you enjoy getting into it. If you have a backlog of your own stock photos, you're ready to go.

Take a look at my free ezine for compositing tutorials, especially issue #21.

Comment

Thank you. Downloaded the zip archive and subscribed. Looking forward to getting into them.

Comment

Glad to help, Frank! I didn't see your subscription email yet; please PM me here with your address.

Comment

Working...
                X