Color coordination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color coordination

Been trying to get my mind in tune with color relationship between subject and background, I offer this example...
    Might I be better off using a different color for the background?
    With regard to floral photography, is complimentary better than contrasting?

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l...anged-copy.jpg

Re: Color coordination

Hi Chauncey
    Guess what - it depends of course.

As with many of your images the background plays a secondary muted subject. So it depends on if that is your goal or not.

I give it a gut check for me if the image is distracting, complimentary (in a secondary type of way), or nice but out of the way.

For this particular image, I am fine with the background color and soft out-of-focus look yet my eye gets drawn to the background and not the subject primarily because the floral arrangement loops and is continued by the soft brownish-green background loop so my eye gets lost and does not know where to pay attention. I bet that would not happen without that portion of the background.

Just my quick thoughts of course.

Comment

Generally speaking, the background color should not distract from the focal point - or primary subject matter. Buy that is just in terms of a nice photograph. I often look at things from a total design perspective - like where is this pic going to be used on a page and within a layout. Is type going to run over - or reverse out of it. What other colors are being used - perhaps corporate colors. So I guess there is no right or wrong, except to say, barring use within a published piece, you probably don't want to have your outline or subject edges be drawn - or lost - into the background.

Comment

I should hang out here more frequently as there are old friends dwelling here.
        I usually shoot these flowers parked in front of an image displayed on my monitor and am unsure about colors in that monitor image.

Comment