Extending a studio backdrop without the banding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extending a studio backdrop without the banding

I have a studio shot (attached) that I need to extended the background to the left and right.

I’ve already duplicated a section of the existing background and stretched it. This created some dirty vertical banding so then used a mix of Gaussian Blur and Surface blur to try and blend the colours together. But then this created some nasty blocks of colour because there wasn’t enough colour values to smooth out the graduations. So I then applied a little Noise to try and break up the banding.

The end result is passable but not great.

Can anyone suggest good techniques for retouching graduations like this, particularly of studio backdrops. I noticed if I go in to the individual RBG channels, in the extended areas of the background, the channels are very mucky and full of artifacts.

Original Image:
    http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps4taeb7k0.jpg

Extended background image with banding:
    http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/a...pswibrumd1.jpg

Re: Extending a studio backdrop without the bandin

I see no banding. Can you tell me where I should be looking?
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Stretching is a last resort really and you have better options with this image. I would make a solid panel of the background colour (as a layer) gradating the tone between a point selected to the left of the flame to a tone that would be at the theoretical termination point on the right. Spend some time adding noise or grain to match the photo. Make a gradation mask over the image and use that selection to fully expose the right side of the new colour panel which will feather out just to the left of the flame. Brush back (restore) the flame to full opacity. Cut out the 'good' floor area to the right of the flame and move it as a layer over the original. Use reduced opacity for positioning blend the new layer into the old background. Repeat until you make up the required extension. Merge these pieces and again blend them into the background with a gradated mask. Add a gradation of dark tone over the top to match the grey wall. It will work!

Comment

Paint, than add grain, as Repairman suggested.

Stretching will make it look stretched ,and blurring will make it look blurred .

Comment

Working...
        X