Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to cut out transparent dress

Hi

I have a photo of a model in a dress which is semi transparent. She is shot against a white background. What is the best way to isolate the dress?

Thanks

Peter
    Attached Files

Re: How to cut out transparent dress

Topaz Remask.

Comment

It depend what you doing with it after.

Comment

Cut out the main outline of the dress. Leave the sheer parts, but remove background artifacts, such as that line between the floor and wall. Also remove stuff like paper wrinkles. Do the rest of it on the compositing end. There's isn't any other sensible way with something like this. You make color adjustments and retouch to match the lighting of the new background. If you just want it against a knocked out white, you adjust based on that.

You can probably fill portions of the dress that are almost opaque without looking weird. It would also be possible to create more rim for that shoe and push the toes up. Right now it's really obvious that the shoes don't fit, and that always looks terrible with any type of open toe shoes (not as noticeable with closed toe on either gender).

Comment

Originally posted by Tulack View Post
          It depend what you doing with it after.
          I will composite it into another background photo (with similar lightning). I can pick background photo freely. What should I look for in the background photo to make the composite as realistic as possible?

Comment

I'm serious. Use Topaz Remask. It's a plugin that lets you mask easily. See the tutorial (on the Topaz site) about masking a brides veil to see how easy it is. Even if you 'don't use plugins' you'll like the ease of this one.

Comment

Originally posted by petersweden View Post
              I will composite it into another background photo (with similar lightning). I can pick background photo freely. What should I look for in the background photo to make the composite as realistic as possible?
              If background is black, process will be deferent from white background

I will create hue mask, and use pen for solid parts.

https://scontent-dfw1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...93&oe=5677E1C1
              Last edited by Tulack; 08-31-2015, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Something along these lines?Dress.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by jarendell View Post
                  Something along these lines?[ATTACH]95300[/ATTACH]
                  Exactly, how did you do it?

Comment

Originally posted by lurch View Post
                    I'm serious. Use Topaz Remask. It's a plugin that lets you mask easily. See the tutorial (on the Topaz site) about masking a brides veil to see how easy it is. Even if you 'don't use plugins' you'll like the ease of this one.
                    I remeber trying it years ago but I will try it out again, thanks!

Comment

Hi.

Assuming your using Photoshop (version not important) simply cut out the image as I did in my example, put image onto its own layer (ctrl J) then go to:
                      Select-Colour Range- then using the Colour Picker (sampled colours) to highlight the colour that you want to remove (in this instance white) then adjust the fuzziness slider, if needed, then tick the invert box then accept, which will then take you back into the layer panel. Double click on the Layer mask and adjust if needed!

I hope this helps?

Regards

James

Comment

Originally posted by jarendell View Post
                        Hi.

Assuming your using Photoshop (version not important) simply cut out the image as I did in my example, put image onto its own layer (ctrl J) then go to:
                        Select-Colour Range- then using the Colour Picker (sampled colours) to highlight the colour that you want to remove (in this instance white) then adjust the fuzziness slider, if needed, then tick the invert box then accept, which will then take you back into the layer panel. Double click on the Layer mask and adjust if needed!

I hope this helps?

Regards

James
                        Thanks I will try it out.

Regards

Peter

Comment

I agree with the previous member. Topaz Remask 5. Do a Google search for "masking a transparent veil" and a Topaz Labs link will populate.

Comment

Hi there,

mode lab
                            duplicate channel a
                            curves
                            ya d get this result (attached)
                            some further brush work
                            Attached Files

Comment