Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color matching subject/background

Hi

Any ideas on how to improve this composite? Especially when it comes to color matching model with background? (which I find really hard)

Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Color matching subject/background

I attach the file without any color matching if anyone wants to have a go at it yourselves.
    Attached Files

Comment

what have you done thus far to match color?

some things to try:

- Add top level grey layer with luminosity blend mode - this will show you the colors used beneath. then just adjust with adjusment layers: hue/sat.
      - make stamp visible layer and do a filter/blur/average to get the average of all the colors and then set blend mode of this layer to 'Color' - lower opacity.

Comment

What I did:
        Copy of background layer, moved on top of model, filter/blur/average, color blending mode, reduced opacity.
        Levels adjustment layer, normal blend mode in order to darken
        Hue/sat adjustment layer, normal blend mode, hue +20, saturation -28
        Inner glow layer style, copied effect to separate layer and clipped to model, created black mask to hide all and then painted in rim light on hair

Comment

Go into individual colors and match them. Maybe some individual areas need separate adjustments. No one can do a one overall hue sat adjustment on RGB that will make it blend perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by skoobey View Post
            Go into individual colors and match them. Maybe some individual areas need separate adjustments. No one can do a one overall hue sat adjustment on RGB that will make it blend perfect.
            Ok that is one thing I have been doing wrong. Which do you find the best way to match individual colors? Maybe color balance?

Also is there a difference between shadows/midtones/highlights as to how much they are affected by the background colors?

Comment

Yes, selective color, hue/sat, even curves if you make a precise mask for the area.

Yes, but it's more complex then that. Each environment is different, so if you have a bright red wall in an environment, it'll cast color on the model and vice versa, that's what makes it believable. It's not just overall highlight, shadow, midtone, but it is where you start, you've already done that in this image, what I see now is that her blacks are really black, while the environment is more evenly lit.

Comment

Is there some way I could get some "mechanical" help to match subject with background from e.g. the rgb values of sample points of the darkest/brightest parts of the model and background? E.g. take sample point of brightest pixel on background, note rgb values, adjust brightest pixel on model to match the rgb values.

Comment

use 'threshold' for that. If you hold alt and drag the threshold (or in Curves or Levels) it will show you the light and dark points as well when the colors appear.

Comment

We keep going in circles, but you are asking the right questions. Look at the desaturated version of the image to match luminosity, then go into adjusting the colors.
                    Last edited by skoobey; 09-18-2016, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skoobey View Post
                      We keep going in circles, but you are asking the right questions.
                      It's partly due to disagreements. I never suggest adjusting luminosity separately, because I think it just confuses people and complicates the process. It's an improvement over his earlier work. I just haven't had time in the last couple days to respond in detail.

Comment