Select and Mask Tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Select and Mask Tool

I have been having a great deal of difficulty using the new Select and Mask tool. When I am masking hair for example I am not able to pick stray strands like I used to with the Refine Edge tool, even when using a grey background. Is anyone else having a problem like this, and if yes, have you figured out a solution?

Re: Select and Mask Tool

Maybe this article will help: http://www.iso1200.com/2016/11/photo...fine-edge.html

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Remember that the pixels which represent fine hairs also take some influence from the background. At best you can grab the hairs without a lot of fringing, but you will still typically require some amount of color correction to match the new background.

I think it's easier to use the paintbrush tool and quickmask for this than refine edge, but you have to be reasonably dexterous with the tablet. Start off by drawing random shapes, especially circles. If you can do stuff like that smoothly, you won't have too much trouble following the outline of hairs.

Comment

I guess this tutorial can help you on this http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/t...hotoshop-2016/

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• booboo
            Cut out the person
            by booboo
            Hi everybody,

I have a problem with cutting out the person from photos. I always do: Filter - Extract and then I mark the edges with the 'smart highligting'. Even after using 'edge touchup tool' and 'cleanup tool' I am not satisfied with my job.

I'll show you my cutout...
            07-31-2008, 09:54 AM
          • peril99
            Shape Tool and Collage
            by peril99
            I am trying to make a collage. I have a picture of a house in the background, but want to cut a shape like a cloud out of family picture to put into the collage. I have Elements v5. I can not find where the shape tool is located or how to bring the tool up. I am not sure that is the correct tool so...
            07-06-2007, 02:31 PM
          • beefhitler
            How do I mask something like this?
            by beefhitler
            As an example I will use a random shot got lying around.

This: http://i.imgur.com/Ivg0sVl.jpg

I need masks for:

1. The camel
            2. The cart
            3. The guy sitting in the cart

I am very very new to this so please bear with my newbie...
            02-04-2017, 10:23 PM
          • Lynda99
            Quickest way to mask
            by Lynda99
            I've been using the magic wand to select for applying a drop shadow. It works fine except when the selection has colors similar to the background. Checking 'contiguous' doesn't help.

Everything else seems sooo time consuming. Is there anything else that is fast?

Lynda...
            08-14-2007, 02:25 PM
          • skoobey
            Checking precision of your mask? How???
            by skoobey
            Okay, so ,we all know what masks are for etc... but...

I was wondering what techniques do you use(or have heard of) that help check whether the mask is precise enough.

For example, if you use the pen tool to select an arm, and then apply a curve to that selection, you don't...
            08-13-2013, 01:17 PM
          Working...
          X