Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selection using quick mask - brush settings

HI all,

I am starting to experiment with masking using the quick mask view to make selections e.g to remove objects from a picture or for selection for modification but i am finding that at the edges of my selection once i have eg done a cut appear feathered and graduated to transparent. Now i don't know if i've made a wrong setting choice for the process or need to use a specific brush setting to get a nice clean selection instead of this 'fuzzyness'.
    If there is a clear edge to the part of the image i want to select what brush setting would give me the best result (assuming a steady hand of course ).

Sorry this is garbled but it's late at night now..

thanks in advance,

nacoya

I'm not sure if this would help but just over the Zoom tool in the Extract dialogue box are 2 tools. When you are in Preview mode, one will paint back, the other seems to reduce non essential blobs,dust,etc and seems to tighten things up.

cheers
    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Nacoya
      [how to make] nice clean selection instead of this 'fuzzyness'.
      A couple things to look for:
      * Be sure brush opacity = 100
      * You are using true black (no other color)
      * Use hard (not soft) edged brushes, for example Hard Round 9

Comment

As a quick way to adjust brush hardness, use Shift] to increase brush hardness, or Shift[ to decrease hardness (there are only 4 settings using this quick method, but its usually enough).

Also, use ] to increase brush size, and [ to decrease it.

Comment

If you want an absolute hard edge and extreme control, use the pen tool.

Comment

Thanks folks ..

A few things to try there. I'll see if i can get the right combination of them all.
            I'm going to work on an image my friend took with his D70 last weekend 'cause i think it's fab for 'playing' with. Will post a pic shortly once i get the selection right.

cheers,

nacoya

Comment

Working...
            X