Save unfinish photo as Jpeg or Tiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Save unfinish photo as Jpeg or Tiff

I would like to know if the picture you are restoring is a Jpeg and you restore part of the picture, do you save the unfinish photo as a Jpeg or Tiff.

Gerald McClaren

Never, ever save unfinished images in jpeg!!!!

Frode

Comment

Originally posted by Frode
      Never, ever save unfinished images in jpeg!!!!Frode
      +

Never, ever save finished images in jpeg!!!!

Jpeg only serves for exchanging images around the net or for low quality snapshots. If your client requires jpeg then send it, but keep your original TIFF.
      While restoring, if you are using PS and supposing that you are using layers, just save as PSD.

BTW
      Never, ever save unfinished images in jpeg!!!!
      Never, ever save finished images in jpeg!!!!

Comment

I use JPEG's ONLY as a "final" reference file. I store all my work as a layered TIFF (I use ZIP compression - it's loss-less and uses about the same memory as a PSD). The thing to remember about JPEGs is that they work by compressing the picture and throwing data away. Essentially what they do is this: an 8X8 group of pixels are surveyed and the "average color" is determined. Then, each pixel in that group is defined by it's difference from that average. However, to save space, JPEGS try to pull pixels that are very different "closer", thereby reducing the distance from average a little. Then it analyzes the next 8X8, and so on. Every time you save, close, open, and save a JPEG, it does this, throwing away a little more data each time. This is what causes artifacts with multiple saves. The details blur together, but only in these boxes, resulting in the appearance of a digitized image. You should only save an image as a JPEG once, unless it is unavoidable.

I hope this helps without seeming too didactic.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• ebbtide
          changing default save format from psd to jpeg
          by ebbtide
          Hi,
          Fixing up a bunch of Jpeg images and want to resave them in jpeg. Photoshop, of course, wants you to save them in psd by default. Is there a method so you don't have to go through all the key strokes to change from psd to jpeg for each image you save? Is there a method to permanently change...
          08-13-2005, 08:51 AM
        • jarulex
          save as JPG
          by jarulex
          Hi Folks!
          sometimes after a photo retouching of a raw pic I'm not able to save it as Jpeg, I mean Photoshop doesn't give me this option -just a reduced number of options- and I didn't understand so far why and when this happens...Any suggestion to give me? Thanks.

ps it seems...
          12-10-2009, 01:48 AM
        • BBE
          Saving jpg in Elements 5
          by BBE
          I am new to Elements 5 and this forum so hope that someone can help please. If I open an RAW file (Nikon .NEF) everything works well until I want to save the finished result as a .jpg file. "Save as" gives me a list of extensions but not JPEG i.e. *.jpg. It does give me the option of JPEG...
          05-08-2007, 10:55 AM
        • Cassidy
          Why does save to jpg or save to web change colours?
          by Cassidy
          Can anyone give me any advice. I am finding more recently that often skin tones are dramatically changed when I save to web and/or jpeg. It seems to desaturate the reds out of skin tones, but will leave other true red items in tact. Any ideas please?
          08-19-2007, 08:53 AM
        • inskip
          help w/ JPEG
          by inskip
          I have a new digital camera and the first batch of pics are jpegs. I don't use jpegs much unless it's to make a copy a file (like psd) for web viewing, so, I rarely start w/ a jpeg image. Anyway, I like some of these pics and want to save them to a disk and possibly work on them in PS7. But, I'm under...
          05-24-2005, 12:11 PM
        Working...
        X