Old photo in a bowed frame??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old photo in a bowed frame??

Can anyone give me an idea how to capture or scan if possible an old photo that is in a bowed frame? Thanks

I am asuming that you are talking about one of those where the photo it self is formed into that kind of bowl shape? (If just the glass in in the bowl shape and the photo is flat just take it out of the frame).

For the bowl shaped photos, take it out of the glass, set it up so that:

1. the light falling on it is even, no shadows, you might have to play with this.

2. Use a camera (film or digital) with a TELEPHOTO lens, back off till you get the thing framed, sharp, and shoot away with as many f stops as you can get, ie at least f11, 16 or 22 would be better. The reason for the distance is that the distortation between the part of the print that is closest to the camera and the part that is farther away will be minimized. You use the f stop to insure that the depth of field will hold so that the image is sharp from front to back. Remember that lenses may not be their sharpest at those f stops, so if you have an SLR, check the depth of field with your prevue button.

Also make sure that the print and the film plane are parallel with each other.

So you see it is not all that hard to do, one just has to make sure of the small details.

If you do not have a camera that will do this, see if a photo studio in your area will do it for you. We do things like this every so often for someone.

Hope this helps

Mike

Comment

Yes, it is one of those bowl shaped photos. Thanks for the suggestions and I will try it. I thought that if I could scan it in sections, holding it flat as possible on the scanner glass. Then put it back together in PS. It sounds a whole lot easier to take a photo of it. Thanks again. Now if I could just find a way that works to scan that old textured paper......................

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• cinderella
        Scanning large old photo
        cinderella
        by cinderella
        What is best approach to take to make copies of very large old photos that reside in a frame.? They are way too big for my home scanner.
        Should I remove them from the frame where they have resided under glass since the early 1900's?. Photos themselves are in very good condition. Friend wants...
        12-11-2002, 05:12 PM
      • pjstaley
        paper weight
        pjstaley
        by pjstaley
        Someone came to me with this issue: He has a family photo that is adhered to the bottom of a half-round of glass that is used as a paper weight. He wants the photo to be duplicated so it can be printed and framed. I tried scanning, but the scanner didn't give good results, so I tried taking a photo...
        12-06-2005, 11:14 AM
      • imago
        damaged photo still in frame
        imago
        by imago
        I have some large sepia tone photos for retouching that are still in their frames. I am not sure how to proceed.

There appears to be some sort of watter damage in some areas. It is a darkenning under the glass and other areas of splotchy darkenning. I am not sure if I should try to...
        09-05-2001, 07:38 AM
      • Brinse
        Fragmented picture
        Brinse
        by Brinse
        Hello,
        I have a 80+/- year old photograph of my neighbor that is fragmented into four pieces. Total appx. size of the photo pieced together is roughly 10in wide and 14in high. The pic is in pretty good shape surface wise. Wondering if I should try to scan each piece individually then stitch...
        02-02-2007, 04:48 PM
      • Fazools
        Sex Lube and Old Photographs!!
        by Fazools
        Ok. This is not a tutorial as much as it is a chance for you to see what happens when you get creative and are able to sacrifice your original photo.

I found this photo of my grandfather with a girl he had met in the war in Italy, I am almost sure that the pic is a Calotype based on...
        04-29-2006, 01:29 AM
      Working...
      X