looking for advise on historic WWII photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for advise on historic WWII photos

I have photos taken by my Father in Japan '45 and '46. After seeing the cost of having them restored, I decided to learn how to do it myself. I work in photoshop cs, and have been at it a bit more than a year. What are my chances of making a REAL QUALITY restoration of photos such as this? I'm new to Retouch pro so if I've goofed somehow, please forgive and advise. Thanks
    Julianne
    Attached Files

what else have you got?

Is this a soldier? didn't see him at first if so.
    Attached Files

Comment

Sounds like you have a great collection of images. Bit off subject, but have you thought of the historical value of the images
      May be worth showing or discussing the images the these people Here

Comment

Re: WWII photos

Yes, that's a soldier. I do realize the historical value of the photos. They also have great personal value as I know many of the stories of the photos. I have many photos (all positives, no negatives) so that's one reason why I am learning to restore photos. My dream is to put photos and stories in a book.

Comment

It was difficult working on this image due to it's size, and the amount of fine detail lost through resizing. But this is the result of playing with shadow/highlights adjustment and then running it through neat image set at 120% sharpening and 0% noise reduction.

Comment

Very crisp detail attained there Chris

Comment

Thanks Cassidy
              I find that neat image is a great sharpening tool, as well as noise reduction. I don't know why, but the sharpening seems to come out really well using neat image. I use it more for that now than I do for noise reduction.
              Forgot to mention. I also used burn tool set to 20% on shadows to pull out more of the detail and the hills in the background

Comment

not much time to explain details at the moment....

Craig
                Attached Files

Comment