Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Showing Process of photo restoring/ Need Input

Hi Everyone,

My Cousin gave me this picture (It's a picture of her taken in 1964) and asked if I could do anything with it. I've been working on it and got this far, I just wanted to see if anyone could advise me on how to fix the face. I am using The Gimp and VCW VicMan's Photo Editor. If anyone else is using these or has used them, I would be very thankful for their input.

Sharon Lee
    Attached Files

Re: Showing Process of photo restoring/ Need Input

You will find several wizards around here that will do a much better job than me.

:-)

I don't use the same tools as you, but here is my try on the face.
    If possible, post a higher resolution image. Due to the compression, your original has many JPEG artifacts which makes it even more difficult to do a decent job.

Regarding advice:
    I use Photoshop and not Gimp or VCW VicMan's Photo Editor so I don't know your actual steps, but this is what I did:
    color correction... needs a better eye than me... it is still very "orange"
    levels... balance the darks and lights
    sharpen... to bring out more some of the details
    clone tool... to fix the creases and rips

Originally posted by ArkNsawer
    Hi Everyone,
    My Cousin gave me this picture (It's a picture of her taken in 1964) and asked if I could do anything with it. I've been working on it and got this far, I just wanted to see if anyone could advise me on how to fix the face. I am using The Gimp and VCW VicMan's Photo Editor. If anyone else is using these or has used them, I would be very thankful for their input.

Sharon Lee
    Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Frank for your advice. I have some programs that are some what like yous I'll try them tonight and post it in the morning.

Thanks again

Sharon Lee

Comment

well, you picked a doozy here. very badly damaged. i had to guess at a number of things, including the ear, the mouth/tongue... i saw a tongue, but not sure it's right. it could always be removed.

i first added a contrast/brightness adjustment layer to try to bring out some detail and also added a little 'clarify', which i doubt the gimp has. but you could try some shadows/midtones/highlights. again, this is to try to find the detail a little bit better.

after that it was all clone, which i know the gimp has, until the very end where i used a bit of airbrushing to smooth some things out a bit.

i didnt do all of it; you just asked about the head. there's a lot of work to be done in this one. i'm not sure the image was put together properly... parts of the face seemed skewed a bit, especially around the nose and mouth. i did the best i could.
        Attached Files

Comment

Cloning, borrowed a hat and ear, mostly fiddled with it.

dc
          Attached Files

Comment

Craig, DC,

You guys done a great job. I'm still working on the picture using Gimp, and you guys gave some great tips and input. I thank you all for your time and help.

Sharon Lee

Comment

you're welcome, sharon. hope it turns out ok. show us the work as you go or when you're done.

Comment

Working...
              X