12x36 scan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12x36 scan

I am trying to get an image scanned to my computer. The size is approx. 12 inches by 36 inches. I have tried every which way of scanning separate parts of the image, but to no avail. If any of you know of a service that can do this, or a way I can do it my self, that would be totally awesome!
    Would I be better taking photos of it with my D50 and going that way?
    Thanks.

Re: 12x36 scan

Both methods should work. Taking a photo with your D50 would probably be fastest. Position the camera and focal length to maximize the lense's depth of field so that the outer edges of the poster are not blurred.

You should also be able to scan the image in pieces and use Photoshop's "Photo Merge" feature or manual alignment to stitch the pieces together. I have done some large maps this way.

Since you image is only 12 x 36, method 1 is probably the best way to go.
    Regards, Murray

Comment

Hi cducasse

Would I be better taking photos of it with my D50 and going that way
      That’s probably the easiest way but this method could give a higher res file

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=125

Hope this Helps

Ken.

Comment

You may also find a photographer who is capable of digitizing the piece in one pass at 300 DPI. I've had excellent results with Printvillage in Ft. Lauderdale (FL). I often have framed artwork that I need to capture and this is easiest for me.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• dkf10425
          Best way for quality enlargement from a scan?
          by dkf10425
          What is the best way to enlarge a scanned photo? I want the best possible quality. Should I scan at a high resolution then with resample image unchecked lower it until I get to the correct print size? Or should I scan at the resolution I am going to print then use Fractals?

Edit: I forgot...
          12-10-2007, 04:06 PM
        • dkf10425
          Question about scan settings for customers?
          by dkf10425
          I have a question about what scan setting instructions do you tell people who email/upload photos to you? Should they scan at 300, 600, or 1200 ppi? I asked someone yesterday to send me a 1200 ppi scan but they emailed me back saying their scanner was only rated at 600 and anything larger it would resample...
          01-06-2008, 11:18 AM
        • airubin
          Nikon ES4000 scanner
          by airubin
          I just got my new Nikon ES4000. It is too early to give you any meaningful comments as I’ve only spent about 1 hour of non-installation time with it. The Nikon techie suggested that I use as much memory as possible, so I upgraded my Dell laptop from 96 MB to 512 MB. I’ve been planning to do this...
          03-18-2002, 03:48 PM
        • wellman
          Getting started with scanning old photos
          by wellman
          Hello, folks. This is my first post with you guys; I usually hang around the dgrin forums , and I was directed over here with this question...

I'm planning to put together a photobook (using Blurb, Picaboo, etc - haven't decided) of historical photos of my family's ancestry - basically...
          01-13-2007, 12:32 PM
        • maverick911
          Settings for Scanning
          by maverick911
          What dpi should I use to scan in old photos? And which file format should I save them in using PS3?

Using an Epson Perfection 1240U.
          09-24-2010, 07:36 AM
        Working...
        X