Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of noise and loss of detail

Hi

First post here, a great forum that I wish I had found before. I have already learnt a load of new stuff in the last day by having a read.
    I have one image that has been giving me problems for the last few days and I would greatly appreciate any advice or ideas. I could try to describe all of the problems but it is best if you have a look and see for yourself as there are quite a few.
    I would ideally like to reduce the noise and try to bring out what detail there is.
    The photo is coming up for a 100 years old so its not doing badly, but I am really at a loss on where to start with this one.

Many thanks

Tim
    Attached Files

Re: Lots of noise and loss of detail

Here is a quick 2 minute fix ... not complete by any means.
    opened document
    ran photowiz colorwasher plugin to remove the yellow cast.
    used apply image default settings.
    ran through noiseware plugin
    selective color adjustment layer to enhance the blacks and neutrals
    Attached Files

Comment

Tim,
      Welcome to RP
      Here is another 2 minute start.
      Ran it thru Noiseware first to soften it up. Then do a levels adjust and clip each channel separately to extract whatever detail you can. This followed by a curve adj layer using an S curve to increease the mid tone contrast.
      From here converted to grayscale.
      If you take a good high resolution scan with a scanner that has a high dynamic range value, you should be able to get a good working image that you could do some fine cloning and touch up. I would also replace the background.
      Good luck with the restore.Regards, Murray
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi

Thanks for having a look at this image. I like what you have done, enhancing the blacks certainly helps. The problem that I have found is that what ever I do seems to enhance the noise as well.
        I will have a look for the noiseware plugin you mentioned.

Many Thanks

Tim

Comment

Murray that looks very good for a 2 minute start.
          You have mentioned some techniques that I will go and have a read up on and then have a play with.
          I do have an old but decent epson gt-12000 scanner so getting a good first scan should not be a problem, cloning and touching up is something that I am quite confidant with.
          I agree that replacing the background is a good idea, I had not given that a try.

thanks

Tim

Comment

unimatrix,

what does 'apply image' do there?

Comment

i am not sure exactly but i believe it is similar to the channel mixer but it allows you to chose from different blending modes ..... i just used the default its set to multiply there are other options to choose from in the apply image window...

Comment

Hi Craig,
                The Apply Image command allows you to combine and blend individual channels in the same way that you can combine and blend layers. Except it adds some extrat dimensions of power and flexibility. There are blend modes available in the dialog box for Apply Image, which are not avail with layers (like Add and Subtract). There are also check boxes which allow you to invert the layer before applying it. Finally there is a check box that allows the Application of a layer through a mask and that mask can be any channel in any open image and blended in any blending mode as well as invert the mask.
                All that being said though, the default settings basically take the channel that is currently selected and applies it to itself in Multiply blend mode. Therefore what Unimatrix has effectively done is overlayed the R onto itself with Multiply blend mode, thereby restoring some density.
                Regards, Murray

Comment

ah, thanks guys. if psp would add that, i'd buy another upgrade

Comment

I did a curves adjustment layer,then did layer masks to bring out details
                    Idid not do anything to adjust the noise
                    hope this helps zganie
                    Attached Files

Comment

adjusting curves, setting black point and white point converting to lab color shapen and blurring channel a and b.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi

Thanks for all the replies, looks like there are lots of new ideas for me to try. With a bit of luck I will get some quiet time at the weekend and will try and get this image finished. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Tim

Comment

median filter a + b and then the lightness channel and setting opacity to 76%, i got this.
                          Attached Files

Comment