Tape residue on old albumen photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tape residue on old albumen photo

Hi all. I have an old family photo (ca. 1900). It appears to be a large sepia albumen print on heavy card stock.

The photo split down the middle many decades ago, and a long-gone relative used what seems to be (are you sitting down?) black electric tape to "repair" it.

Not much archival sensibility back in old Hungary!

The tape was dried out, and peeled off easily, but it left a discolored path containing small, hard, brownish granules well-stuck to the photo. Will a cleaner such as Pec-12 (never used it, just read about it) be suitable for cleaning it? Other ideas?

Many thanks! James, Brooklyn NY

Re: Tape residue on old albumen photo

welcome to RP, irsayj.

fraid i dont have an answer for you on that one. black electrical tape back then was probably the cloth type with a sticky glue embeded in it. not sure what solvent would take it off and leave the photo untouched. you might look around here some more with searches. try the image help forum, the historical forum and this one, for starters.

if you cant find anything here on RP and no one else has an answer, you could try a google search or a conservator site or a conservator.

Comment

I would try peanut butter on a very tiny part. It works with a chewing gum problem.

Comment

I would talk to an expert before trying anything on the print. There are a number of museums near you -- You might be able to get some free advice from a staff conservator.

Comment

Rubber cement thinner (Bestine) on a Qtip usually works but check it on an edge where a problem would not be too bad. Do not rub hard just a gentle dab
          should show you if it will work.
          Don

Comment

Originally posted by chillin
            I would try peanut butter on a very tiny part. It works with a chewing gum problem.
            Fascinating... I'll assume this is a real suggestion, as you are a premium member! I assume you mean smooth rather than crunchy. This is a good opportunity to use that old jar of icky-thicky Deaf Smith peanut butter.

Thanks to all who responded. I'll try your suggestions this week, and report results! James

Comment

Personally, I'd stay away from the peanut butter. It works for getting chewing gum out of hair, but your photo isn't printed on hair.

I'm old enough to remember how the oils in the peanut butter stained the paper wrappers of my sandwiches when I was a child (that was in the days before plastic sandwich bags!). Imagine what those oils could do to the paper backing of your photograph.

Comment

Originally posted by BobJones
                Personally, I'd stay away from the peanut butter. It works for getting chewing gum out of hair, but your photo isn't printed on hair.

I'm old enough to remember how the oils in the peanut butter stained the paper wrappers of my sandwiches when I was a child (that was in the days before plastic sandwich bags!). Imagine what those oils could do to the paper backing of your photograph.
                I didn't think about it

Comment

Working...
                X