need help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help.

I am working on a pic of my grandparents. Its the fading on the clothes. I tried using the contrast it helped some what but still did not do a good job.I am using paint shop pro xi.
    Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
    Attached Files

Re: need help.

Beatles2

I don't use PSP, but you can probably achieve the same thing as I did in PhotoShop.

Duplicated the layer and set duplicate to Color Burn.

Add a hide all (black) mask and paint at 100% over the clothing areas to allow to "burn" to appear through the mask. Adjust opacity on that layer to suit.

This is pretty easy to do on dark clothing.
    Attached Files

Comment

nice, dee dee, but psp doesnt have a 'color burn' blend mode

and beatles2, welcome to RP.

you've actually got a more serious problem than the fading and i'd fix that first. that's the black stain at the bottom of the picture. there's also some on his suit. cloning shld do the job.

once you have that, airbrush and clone shld fix the rest of the clothing.

Comment

not sure if this will help but i used a blank layer set to soft light and merged the layers used selective color choose black and set to -3 choose neutrals set to -21 to lighten the faces and house some then used the burn tool to finish the jackets.. not sure if psp has all these tools but there must be something close to them to use.
        Attached Files

Comment

Craig.. Hard to imagine that PSP doesn't have something comparable to Dodge and Burn tools. It's such a traditional old school technique.

Comment

Thanks for the help.
            My frustration is I lose all detail of the jacket, but with a little help from my friends i will get it.
            Thanks Paul

Comment

The faces are the most important thing. In a picture of this era, clothing didn't have much detail.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampy
                Craig.. Hard to imagine that PSP doesn't have something comparable to Dodge and Burn tools. It's such a traditional old school technique.
                PSP does have Dodge and Burn tools and the ability to set the layer effect to dodge or burn.

Comment

Duplicated the layer and set duplicate to Color Burn.
                  PSP does have Dodge and Burn tools and the ability to set the layer effect to dodge or burn.
                  yes, psp has dodge and burn, but it doesnt have the 'color burn' blend mode, which is what i was saying, geru. it also doesnt have 'linear burn' and some of the other blend modes that photoshop has.

Comment

well, doug's working on the site, so i risk losing this post, but i'll give it a shot.

here's an attempt at your image. lots of cloning and airbrushing. those seem to be my favorite tools these days. some clarify, push, brightness/contrast and a usm in there somewhere. also ran a digital camera noise removal.
                    Attached Files

Comment

now that I know it can be done, I will keep working on it.
                      Thanks, Paul

Comment

This is what I would do in CS 2, so I don't know if you have access to similar tools. Add a levels or curves adjustment layer and click on OK. Don’t actually do anything in the levels or curves box. Change blending mode of this adjustment layer to Multiply. Click on Image > Adjustments > Invert to change layer mask from white to black. Make sure white is set as your foreground color. Choose the gradient tool and select the 2nd option in the dropdown box which is "Foreground to Transparent". Then start experimenting by pulling gradient lines downward in the areas you want darkened. Each drag of the gradient adds to the darkness. I used very short pulls for your photo. I don't know anything about Paint Shop, but I hope these suggestions can be tried out.

Diana

Comment

Working...
                        X