Me and my sibs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me and my sibs

I think I really suck at this! I have worked on this photo for the better part of a day, and have had no real success. This is a scanned image from my Mom's old collection. I really wanted to fix it up and present to family at Christmas, but can't seem to get it right. There is something "off" about the colors, no matter what I do. I've tried levels adjustments, channel mixers, and finally settled for some auto adjustments because it was just as good as anything I could do! Anyway, any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I have learned so much from this site, but this may be way beyond my capabilities. By the way, isn't the baby in the pic just precious? ;-) Here is link to full size pic if you'd like. Thanks, Sue

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...nooz/5ofus.jpg
    Attached Files

Re: Me and my sibs

Hi Sue, welcome
    you have a good start. For the color you may have to adjust different areas separately, to get the colors the way you want them.
    I'll try to work on it later.
    cathy

Comment

Hi Sooz, I wanted to give this picture a try. I just worked with the threshold adj. layer to find the true b&w levels and applied a levels layer and then a little adjusting to the individual channels while in the levels adj. layer, from there did neat image. It needs a lot more work, but, I've got to start cooking dinner now.
      Attached Files

Comment

Since your main concern here at the start is color I approached this by trying to determine what colors we know for sure and try to get them right. Grass is green, lilacs are lilac Camel hair is, well, camel colored.
        Beautiful picture by the way, and quite a challenge for such a simple fix (at least for me). Seems to have been taken on a cloudy day, toward sunset, with the flash just at it’s limit for distance. Auto color did a nice job on the color but wanted to black out the faces. I think the nice man at the photo lab blew everything out in an effort to recover the faces in the original image.
        Anyway, no sense going over everything as it was just a matter of trial and error with color. I did overlay an inverted color layer from a point color sample of the boys shirt to take away the cast. I used a blend layer on color burn and then masked it out and painted it back in over the slacks and green of the lilacs. At the end I added a dark red filter to the sky with the gradient tool just so the sky wasn’t so blown out.
        Attached Files
        crazyfly1
        Last edited by crazyfly1; 11-07-2007, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Hi Sue. Using Cathy's suggestion I added a Color Balance adjustment layer and adjusted the sliders until the skin started to look normal. Then I inverted the mask to black and brushed over the skin only. Then I added another Color Balance adj layer and got the green grass to look better, then inverted that mask to black and brushed over the grass only. You could continue this for each color area you want to adjust. You could try this method anyway to see how it looks.

Diana

Comment

Hi there

I used curves and selective color layers... then a few color layers to even out colors.

Butch
            Attached Files

Comment

Wow...some great work there. Better than I have been able to manage for sure. Diana, I don't think yours got posted....I would love to see it.

Susie, yours is looking great...the skin tones are coming back.

Crazyfly, you might be right about the time of day and/or clouds. It was taken in Texas...I wonder if there was a tornado warning! lol Everything has that greenish cast in my original but it's much better in yours.

Davis I love what you did with this. The colors really pop. I am surprised that nobody repainted the yellow house!! My mom always preferred white and off-white, so am always startled when I see this yellow house. Thanks so much for your work!! Sue

Comment

Since it's 1 AM I did a fast job just to see what worked.

I copied the blue channel to the red and then adjusted the RGB levels.

Then made selections of various parts of the image (you can see the sloppiness on the roof) and used a Hue Saturation and Curves to adjust color

Ran an unsharp filter which really didn't help that much.

I would guess that spending a bit of time on this photo could make it pretty decent.
                Attached Files

Comment

One more try

Butch
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Butch....for repainting the house! ;-) Good job!
                    Albatross, yours seems to come closest so far to getting rid of the gloomy tone of the picture. I will try your method to see if I can get it to work. Maybe just getting some color into the sky is part of it. Thanks for the ideas!
                    Sue

Comment

Played around with it again this AM and came up with the following
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks albatross. These just keep getting better. This one seems to have the overall color in it, or at least what seems "true" to me. I like it! Thanks!

Comment

Albatrosss,
                          I like your second version, too. I know this is probably a dumb question, but what exactly do you mean by copying the blue channel to the red? My "channel" knowledge is a bit lacking. Thanks!

Diana

Comment

You're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by dianajenna View Post
                              Albatrosss,
                              I like your second version, too. I know this is probably a dumb question, but what exactly do you mean by copying the blue channel to the red? My "channel" knowledge is a bit lacking. Thanks!

Diana
                              Diane,

Forget copying the channel. I believe the 2nd photo is better than the first and I did not copy the channel. If you would like me to elaborate on copying a channel and substituting it for another let me know.

Comment