Is there any help for this photo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any help for this photo?

On my trip to Norway to visit my grandfathers family I was introduced to a cousin who had a picture of my grandfathers-grandfather! (This be my GGgrandfather?) Anyway, I was so excited about seeing the photo my hand was shaking REAL bad. Then my camera battery died! Below is all I have of this fiasco. Needless to say another shot of it is impossible, I need to fix this one.

Can someone point me to a tutorial that can help me fix this, or is there no help for it?
    Attached Files

Re: Is there any help for this photo?

Well, the original is still in Norway, best way to get it done is to have a proper scan and email it to you.

Comment

Fedje, it seems to me that this picture has been taking through some window (train maybe?) As there is a strong reflection upon the man that seems to double him somehow.
      Unfortunately my skill is not that advanced yet. There should be lots of tuts in the restoration section. Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by montera View Post
        Well, the original is still in Norway, best way to get it done is to have a proper scan and email it to you.
        The old cousin won't let it out of her sight or house for some reason.
        Must think the scanner will ruin it or something.

Comment

Originally posted by amica999 View Post
          Fedje, it seems to me that this picture has been taking through some window (train maybe?) As there is a strong reflection upon the man that seems to double him somehow.
          Unfortunately my skill is not that advanced yet. There should be lots of tuts in the restoration section. Sorry
          I did say my hand was shaking real bad I was so excited! It also was still in the frame, wasn't allowed to take it out. I have been working on it for months. Here is what I have so far....

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...rsen-Final.jpg

Comment

Hi Fedje, had a play...nut I am afraid that fixing more is yeyond my current skill.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Fedje, had a play...nut I am afraid that fixing more is yeyond my current skill.
              Thanks! Looks great.
              Seems your skill is above mine so far. How DID you do that?

Comment

Thank you, glad you like it....unfortunately I didn't save the psd...I applied curves, had a run of "Neat Image" to get rid of some noice...applied a moderate highpass sharpening, duplicated the highpass layer, added a d&b-layer (filled with 50& grey, soft light) and brushed in some whites in the eyes as they were completely dark...on this you could go on for hours to dodge and burn away the noises...

Comment

just saw that the edge of the dark side looks way too sharp, should have masked that out...

Comment

Thank you, glad you like it....unfortunately I didn't save the psd...I applied curves, had a run of "Neat Image" to get rid of some noice...applied a moderate highpass sharpening, duplicated the highpass layer, added a d&b-layer (filled with 50& grey, soft light) and brushed in some whites in the eyes as they were completely dark...on this you could go on for hours to dodge and burn away the noises...
                    I never heard of "Neat Image" so I did a Google search. I know what I want for Christmas! Thanks for the tip!

Someone should make a thread just for neat stuff like this for noobies to look through!

Comment

I worked on this off and on for a couple of days because I love these old ancestor photos. A few levels layers, cloning, some dodge and burn and noise removal. I tried to rebuild the left eye but don't think I got it quite right. I kept it kind of soft because anymore sharpening made it look too harsh and grainy. It could probably use some more contrast.
                      Nan
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Nan View Post
                        I worked on this off and on for a couple of days because I love these old ancestor photos. A few levels layers, cloning, some dodge and burn and noise removal. I tried to rebuild the left eye but don't think I got it quite right. I kept it kind of soft because anymore sharpening made it look too harsh and grainy. It could probably use some more contrast.
                        Nan
                        Thanks Nan! It looks great. I tried all those things as well as the healing brush with results not as good as you guys. I guess I have to practice some more, and get new

Comment

I think you've done a good job and brought out a lot of detail in yours. Maybe a just a little lightening up would help. It could just be my monitor showing it darker though.

Comment

fedje,

your first job in an image like this is to 'find the image'. and all that means is, bring out the detail. curves, levels, contrast, clarify, fade reductions and histogram adjustment are good places to start.

i did a cursory start on this and you can see the eyes if you get your lighting and contrasting raised a bit. you might even be able to bring out the writing at the bottom with a bit of work. that's something that is often important, since it can help to date and locate the image.

after that, with this image having such a pronounced 'shake', you simply treat the ghosting as you would any scratch or unwanted mark. and you correct the double exposure on the coat by matching it up with the rest of it.

also, a usm filter at about 20/100/5 shld help focus the features a bit as well.

Comment