This photo is in dire need of help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This photo is in dire need of help

This is a photo of my Dad and a friend taken in the late 40's or early 50's. I have been messing with it but as a WIP it is pretty lame as I am still learning PS CS3.I thought perhaps someone would take a look at it and see what can be done with it.
    Attached Files

Re: This photo is in dire need of help

I would recommend that you post the result of your efforts.
    Then the members here will give you all kinds of advice on how to proceed.

Originally posted by commosgt68 View Post
    This is a photo of my Dad and a friend taken in the late 40's or early 50's. I have been messing with it but as a WIP it is pretty lame as I am still learning Photoshop CS3.I thought perhaps someone would take a look at it and see what can be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Lopes View Post
      I would recommend that you post the result of your efforts.
      Then the members here will give you all kinds of advice on how to proceed.
      Excellent idea, I will post my WIP and see how I have done so far.
      Attached Files

Comment

are those color variation on the original photo? (at the creases)

if not then i would re scan the image and try to flatten it as much as you can.
        to get rid of the blue color at the creases.
        it will make it easier to retouch/restore

Comment

Try this tutorial "Restoring an old photograph" then post another WIP

Comment

Assuming your second picture is your WIP, it appears that you are tackling the cracks and discoloration before correcting the tonality of the image. Looking back at the original, there is good detail and contrast that can be corrected right off the bat. Lood at the tutorials referenced by the others and correct your tonality. Once that is complete, go after the cracks, etc using techniques you can find in various other tutorials on this site.

You have a good image that is very workable. Just take your time and follow some of the tried and true techniques. Again, check out the tutorials.. they are very good.

Comment

Thought that I would give it a shot. As you can see it needs much more work but, in any event, it may help you get to where you want to be.

Used levels, copied left side of face to right side. Some curve adjustments and some cloning to get rid of cracks. Final step was using Neat Image for the first time. Made quite a bit of difference.

Albie
              Attached Files

Comment

here is a start with the low res you posted
                Attached Files

Comment

Just tips below please dont think im being rude.

Albie too much editing on the man to the lefts face you lost the natural grain in the image, it looks painted a little dataflow looks better but it show to easyly that its mirrored. Dont forget to remember there are darker shadows toward the right side of the mans face due to the way the light would have bin that day. Also commosgt68, here is a tip that may help when scanning an image. If you have an image that got cresses its going to not lay so well on the scaner. so try scaning it upside down then sidways. do 5 difforent angles. then grap and pull the best parts from all the scan into one. Its a little advanced technique but is works for me.

Comment

Matthew,

Thank you very much for your comments. One skill that I don't have is the artistic one. Unfortunately everything looks good to me. Sometimes I look at what I consider a great image and others have many suggestions to improve it. To me it looked perfect. Obviously I'll never be a photographer but regardless of that I enjoy Photoshopping very much.

Once again thanks for your comments. Later today I'm going to modify that image as you suggested.

Comment

sometimes when you edit a photo so long, your eyes start to forget things, or dont notice stuff, I have my assistants all the time give me advise on my retouches. they catch things all the time i miss.

Comment

Well, I am still working at it can't really say I am making good progress but I am starting to learn some of the technics from the excellent tutorials. I just have to figure out how to lighten some of the real dark areas without washing out the entire photo.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Without spending to awful much time, here is my attempt:
                          Attached Files

Comment

Reminds me of a James Dean type. :o)
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by commosgt68 View Post
                              Well, I am still working at it can't really say I am making good progress but I am starting to learn some of the technics from the excellent tutorials. I just have to figure out how to lighten some of the real dark areas without washing out the entire photo.
                              Try the Shadow/Highlight filter under Image/Adjustments.

MJ

Comment

Working...
                              X