Help With a Faded B&W Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With a Faded B&W Photo

I am new at photo restoration. I am using Photoshop CS. My mother gave me a lot of old photos some of which need some help. I have scanned them all in and have been working on them and have had a decent amount of success.
    I don't know how to attack the attached photo though. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is the one photo out of them all that my mother really wanted to have copies made from. Thanks!
    Attached Files

Re: Help With a Faded B&W Photo

Welcome to retouchpro!
    First try to scan the picture in color, their is no info to recover on the right side.

Comment

Hook, I am assuming from the dark spots in the blown out portion to the lower right that either you have a real dirty scan bed or that the scan is pretty true to the origional. I think likely the latter so I took a quick run at it for you. pretty staight forward; curves, multiply layer masked out in dark places, un sharp mask, remove noise.
      Attached Files

Comment

The scan bed was clean. The original was not in good shape. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Originally posted by john718 View Post
          Welcome to retouchpro!
          First try to scan the picture in color, their is no info to recover on the right side.
          I would do that + I would use gradients, levels & most of the retouching tools.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thought I would give this a try while waiting for the new scan..
            Attached Files

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• wwcavs
              Help please...extremely faded photo!
              by wwcavs
              Hi there,

I am very stuck with this photo. I've tried everything I know, but I can't fix it. It is a 70 year old picture of my Grandmother and Grandfather. My mom asked if I could restore it, but I can't even come close. If anyone can help me, it would be very much appreciated. I have...
              06-01-2008, 11:01 PM
            • Aurora Graphix
              Blurred and faded photo help
              by Aurora Graphix
              This photo has me completely stumped. How would I bring this back to life?

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
              Brad...
              11-17-2009, 10:13 PM
            • dianajenna
              Faded Photo - not sure if it's good enough
              by dianajenna
              I posted this picture in the Restoration forum ("Very faded old photo - any ideas?") several days ago and got some good suggestions and help. I've reworked it now and would like to see what you guys think. As you can see from the original photo it is very faded and the surface is cracked...
              05-05-2007, 04:23 PM
            • VCOOPER
              HELP - Picture from 1963 - FADED - NOISY
              by VCOOPER
              Happy New Year everyone,
              Hoping that I can get some direction with the attached photo. It is from back in the day, and I am not even sure the photo was ever very good. I have worked it and sent through Neat Image, still had lots of noise and unable to distinguish facial features. I have used...
              01-06-2008, 08:59 PM
            • jeaniesa
              Need suggestions on how to work on this
              by jeaniesa
              A client has given me a photo that's about 30 years old and that has been displayed without protection from the light for all those years. It was a color photo at one time, but the faded area looks closer to black and white now. That would be workable if it weren't for the large area that was behind...
              03-24-2002, 12:36 PM
            Working...
            X