Cleaning up nasty "noise" in shadow areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning up nasty "noise" in shadow areas

I'm having a bad problem trying to clean up "noise" in the shadow areas of images that I scan. They appear as (usually) red blocks in the shadows, with occassional blue blocks as well. Various blurs do not seem to work, and filling the entire area with black doesn't look realistic at all. Any suggestions?

Wm

If you could post the picture that would be a great help. Have you checked the channels? perhaps an adjustment layer - its difficult to tell without an example. I think this forum limits sizes to 100k

Sure there will be many people here willing to help as soon as you give em something to get their teeth stuck in on

Comment

You might give this a try. Change to lab mode and in the channels give a low gaussian blur to the A and B channels. Those channels hold the color information and the Lightness channel holds your image detail. Don't blur the lightness channel. See if that helps. It's hard to say what's happening since we can't see it but this technique works on digital images that have mottling in the colors so it may correct your specific problem as well.
      DJ

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• jonsien
        Hello and please help..
        by jonsien
        Hi,
        I've been lurking a while and trying to learn more about retouching. I must say that there are a lot of experienced folks here!
        Anyway I was faced with a challenge recently. I got an image that had a lot of noise in it. Now I don't know PS well enough to know if this can be done...
        08-30-2002, 11:54 AM
      • zbgump
        New to this Forum - need help to...
        by zbgump
        Howdy folks. I haven't done any serious photo retouching in awhile. A good friend of mine asked if I could restore an old family portrait of his great grandma and the family. Its posted here.

http://users.rcn.com/rmkerr/familygoodcopy

I've already done some work on...
        11-06-2002, 11:22 AM
      • TaylorOK
        help with levels and channels
        by TaylorOK
        I am following the steps in the tutorial Restoring an Old Photograph.
        http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=255
        (Trying out trial PS CS3. Also have PS Elements 6, but tutorial is easier to follow in PS.)

About levels:
        When I use the sliders to adjust the...
        09-09-2008, 10:48 AM
      • derekfountain
        Copying part of a channel
        by derekfountain
        As a newbie, I was having a go at challenge #44 with Photoshop 7. I got bogged down in an issue which really shouldn't be that difficult.

The writing at the bottom of the photo needs to be removed, and, conveniently, doesn't show in the blue channel. So, just take that part of the image...
        11-29-2002, 07:40 AM
      • Gina_D
        channels
        by Gina_D
        I've attached a photo that I'd like to ask for some direction on and I'm sure there are plenty that can offer that here! I've used channels only in a very limited way so far and that would be in converting a scan of a photo to black and white using the channel mixer in PS to minimize the channels with...
        05-25-2006, 10:44 PM
      Working...
      X