• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moea
    • Aug 2002

antiquing photos

I have some digital photos, and would like to manipulate them to appear as
    "old photos". I would appreciate any suggestions, and/or directions. I thought maybe a sepia tone would be a choice. I, also thought maybe some sort of ornate framing (picturial) might be useful. I am attempting to create these as postcards. Again, any suggestions, directions, tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • Jakaleena
    • Mar 2002

Welcome to RP, Moea!

I think your idea of sepia toning them is a good one. I prefer using duotone when sepia toning since I think it gives the image a much deeper, richer tone.

Maybe you could post an image as a sample to see what others might come up with?

Comment

• Ed_L
      • Aug 2001

Welcome aboard. If you're looking for a quick way to make a sepia tone, here's a tutorial on this site. When you get to the bottom of the page, you can click on part 2 for more reading. If you put your cursor on "menu" at the left side of this page, a sliding menu will pop out, and you can click on tutorials to find a number of good ones, including duotones. Or you can click on the site map link found at the bottom of this post. Good luck.

Ed

Comment

• jeaniesa
        • Aug 2001

Welcome to RetouchPro, Moea!

Like the others said, your idea for sepia toning is a good one. You might also want to try putting a sepia tone layer over the color layer and then fading the opacity of the sepia layer just till you can see a bit of color coming through - to give it an antique-faded-color look. (I saw this done with a portrait of a couple taken on a beach recently and loved the effect.)

As far as the ornate framing, I'm not sure. I'm assuming you're talking about adding a "digital" frame around the photo. My personal opinion is that it would more likely detract from the photo than add to it. I could be proven wrong, but I think that something like a simple vignette would be more effective than an ornate frame.

And, like Jak, I'd love to see a sample image.

Jeanie

Comment

• thomasgeorge
          • Aug 2001

Check out the plugin "Oldmovie" at this link...

It not only allows you to add sepia or any other tone you wish but also allows for adjusting grain, adding dust , finger smears, scratches plus allowing for adjusting borders and giving very realistic fading effects...does a much better job than simply adding sepia tone. With imaginative use of desaturate and History brush you can create some very convincing antique effects. See Attachment for example....this one took 2 minutes to accomplish...Good luck, Tom

Comment

• moea
            • Aug 2002

antiquing photos

Thanks folks, for your warm welcome. I appreciate all your suggestions. I have uploaded a few photos; of the sort I am working with. I hope I've put them in the correct location.

My project is to develop postcards for a small community museum. Oakmont's early doctor's daughter; who was a life-long teacher in the public school; willed her family home and office to the community. It was in the original turn of the century condition. The boro is attempting to restore, and asked me to create postcards for a fund-raiser.

Any suggestions are still, very welcome.

Thanks

Comment

• jeaniesa
              • Aug 2001

Wow - what a neat project Moea!! And it looks like you've got some interesting photos to work with as well. So, the digital photos that you mentioned... I assume you took those in the house and now want to turn them into postcards? Or am I not understanding correctly?

Jeanie

Comment

• Jakaleena
                • Mar 2002

Wow! Neat trick, Tom. I'm gonna have to check that out...

Comment

• moea
                  • Aug 2002

Jeaniessa:
                  You are correct. These are a couple photos taken inside the house, and I want to alter them; to reproduce as postcards.

There are some wonderful settings to this old home. The doctor and his family established in the late 1800's. In my early years of teaching; I taught with the only daughter. She passed about two years ago, in her late 90's. She was the apple of her Fater's eye, and there are many photos of her as a child. They did an interesting series: 4 - 5 photos of slightly differing poses, of the same setting. I don't know if that sufficiently describes the techniqu. But, very interesting. There are several of this type.

Again, any suggestuions for my project, would be appreciated.

p.s. I have posted a photo of the baby Virginia.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• garfield
                    • Jun 2002

hey can i ask something can i still use the demo of the oldmovie that you says? maybe thyereis a time limit there. OH NO! can you teach me how to do sepia toning?

Comment

• Jakaleena
                      • Mar 2002

For sepia toning suggestions, check

HERE

and

HERE

Comment