Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• faded color photo

Hello
    I'm trying to restore the color in this photo, I have tried to get it back with the curves adjustment technique. Which is to take the white eye dropper and find the whitest white and then find the blackest black. This helps a lot with the tone but I still don't get any color in the back ground and the skin color is wrong too.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
    cathy
    Attached Files

Re: faded color photo

Fade correction does a lot.
    Normally I would recolor especially the background if you needed it.
    Attached Files

Comment

This is what I got playing with levels after getting the Black, Grey, white points... It still looked a bit off color then adjusted the red, blue, green in levels till it looked OK to me..

The curves layer is a final minor tweak for the color
      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you, aartist and olbaldy.
        I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. So after doing these first steps, then I would colorize the background, because I'm not getting any real color out of it.

Comment

Adjusted the levels a bit and then did a repaint.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Cathy, I performed a levels adjust on each channel and then used a Selective Adj Layer to fine tune the colors.
            Regards, Murray
            Attached Files

Comment

Slightly different tack here -

First used curves to adjust black, white, and gray points (I assumed the fence posts, weathered wood, would be pretty much gray). Then used another curves layer to get the skin tones. Made that layer mask black, painted it white in the skin areas. The lady's hair was still a little yellow, so took care of that by taking a little yellow out of the neutral tones in a masked selective color layer. Left the background as it came out after the bwg color move - there's a hint of green there.
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Miningart, mistermonday, lurch I will try all of your suggestions and see what I like best.

Comment

I did similar to lurch. used a levels adjustment layer to get rid of the red color cast. then used 4 color balance layers. One for the skintone, one for the hair color, one for the lips, and one for the background.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Few selective curves adjustments.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Chillin and Unimatrix I really appreciate all of your helpful suggestions.
                      Here is what I finished with, the client wanted some enhancements done to her.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hello there
                        well....

the attched photo will explain it all

Thanks

alshaiji
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CathyH View Post
                          Hello
                          I'm trying to restore the color in this photo, I have tried to get it back with the curves adjustment technique. Which is to take the white eye dropper and find the whitest white and then find the blackest black. This helps a lot with the tone but I still don't get any color in the back ground and the skin color is wrong too.
                          Any help would be great.
                          Thanks
                          cathy
                          I desaturated the original with CS4 B&W and then followed(somewhat..) this tutorial.
                          http://www.worth1000.com/tutorial.asp?sid=161015&page=1
                          With each recolor, i.e. her skin, I set a selective color adjustment layer overtop to effect the tones, brightness etc. A curves adjustment could do good here too.
                          I then selected her, copied her to a new layer, replaced the background and merged down. I used Topaz Detail to sharpen and placed a darker border vignette.

Cheers.
                          Attached Files

Comment

alshaiji Thank you for the help, I used that method mostly to do mine also.
                            Gary very nice colors and I like the background change.

cathy

Comment

Gary, superb rendering!!!

Comment