First attempt at restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First attempt at restoration

this is my first attempt at photo restoration. I've had this old tintype of my 3rd-great grandmother, and I've been wanting to work on it for years, so I finally gave it a go. How did I do? Anything I could do differently or better?

click here

Re: First attempt at restoration

Gorgeous! She has beautiful hands.

I love how you kept her true quality.
    Very professional.

How long did it take you?
    What were the general steps you used to achieve the results?

I may have kept the ring on the right hand.
    She may be wearing a ring on the other also.
    Or not.

You may want to have color rendering of your restoration.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by aartist; 11-17-2009, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Wow...that is awesome. Really lovely job. yes, how long did that take?

Comment

Great job at color rendering! I thought the ring was a mar. I'll have to take a closer look at the original. It would be her wedding band as tintypes are reversed. Not sure how long it took. I've worked on it off & on for the past month. I copied the tintype with cross polarizeing filters. The before photo is without the filters and they helped alot. I used the blue channel to get the detail mainly in the dress. I made a blurred pattern of it and used the pattern clone stamp set to darken to get rid of a lot of the white marks. Used the highpass/gaussian blur to add shape to the face & dress.

Later: I did look closer and that is a ring. I'll have to go back and put it back!
        Last edited by csuebele; 11-17-2009, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Absolutely awesome job.

When doing restoration, it's sometimes amazing what you will see in the details.
          I found the little detail gem in your great-great-grandmother's "bell" ear rings.

Comment

Chuck,
            I would agree, you did an excellent job. The final contrast and tint are very nice.

Comment

Originally posted by aartist View Post
              Absolutely awesome job.

When doing restoration, it's sometimes amazing what you will see in the details.
              I found the little detail gem in your great-great-grandmother's "bell" ear rings.
              Originally posted by TommyO View Post
              Chuck,
              I would agree, you did an excellent job. The final contrast and tint are very nice.
              Thanks! I too really like those bell earrings.

Comment

First attempt at restoration

Very Good job!
                I would put the skin tones in also, if you are going to add the cheek color.

Here is an idea of what I mean.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Cupcake View Post
                  Very Good job!
                  I would put the skin tones in also, if you are going to add the cheek color.

Here is an idea of what I mean.
                  Thanks, very nice!

Comment