No announcement yet.

Photo that has physical damage

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Photo that has physical damage

    I guess I'd like a lot of new members here, I've been drawn to the forum as I've been asked to "do what I can" to an old photo.
    My first reaction was "sorry can't help", but then....

    My biggest issue right at the start is that the photo (guess at 30 years old) is physically damaged, parts of the image layer have separated from the substrate and have curled. My guess is the photo has been folded. The substrate is OK meaning no rips or tears, but there are fold marks. As mentioned the image layer is damaged, but many of the damaged curls could reform OK if I could soften them, "uncurl and glue" them back to the substrate.

    So, before I tell the photo owner to head to a professional photo restorer is there a way to make these curled parts pliable and get them to lay flat against the substrate?

    If I can achieve that then there are enough "good" parts of the image to recreate the overall image. Fortunately the subject of the photo, a young woman is in an undamaged part of the photo.

    Looking forward to your advice.


  • #2
    Re: Photo that has physical damage

    Bruce, Welcome to RetouchPRO! Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends.

    You might use a vaporizer or humidifier in a small room (bathroom) to raise the humidity it might relax considerably over a few days.

    Do a search using the search button at the top of the page... this has been discussed many times on the forum.


    • #3
      Re: Photo that has physical damage

      Thanks for reply & tip for relaxing the print. I'll try it out.
      Have spent some time searching the forum and wow there's so much useful information here. Couldn't find much on this particular problem, but once I'm past that and onto the digital work then I am confident that I can complete an acceptable job.



      • #4
        Re: Photo that has physical damage

        depending on how much curl and how good your skills are in your photo editor, you might not have to physically uncurl the photo. just use a camera and shoot the pic and then take it into your editor and fix it there.


        Related Topics


        • llewtwo
          Old Baseball Team Photo
          by llewtwo
          I have visited the forum for several years but have never posted. I have learned much from visiting. I am interested in your suggestions as to how best to clean up the team photo at this link. I started with a photo since I am not able to obtain a scan of the original. My effort to date is included...
          08-11-2013, 08:14 PM
        • dkf10425
          Grey surface discoloration on photo?
          by dkf10425
          What would be the best way to remove the grey surface discoloration from this photo? Thanks!

          10-03-2007, 10:12 AM
        • Britsdad
          photo on a plate
          by Britsdad
          Hiya guys,
          Here's a good one for you, a friend just gave me a plate with a photo embedded into it! It's of his sons girlfriends father who died when she was very young, and this is the only photo she's got of him. They are getting married in a couple of weeks and he's asked me if I can...
          05-25-2009, 02:29 PM
        • rainbowcarnage
          This is a severely damaged photo. Any point?
          by rainbowcarnage
          Hello there, I posted this in the Image Help section and someone suggested I post it elsewhere to see if I can get any good tips.

          This picture (sort of) made it through Katrina. I'm attempting to restore it for a family friend because it is the last picture they have of their sister....
          08-11-2008, 09:56 PM
        • irsayj
          Tape residue on old albumen photo
          by irsayj
          Hi all. I have an old family photo (ca. 1900). It appears to be a large sepia albumen print on heavy card stock.

          The photo split down the middle many decades ago, and a long-gone relative used what seems to be (are you sitting down?) black electric tape to "repair" it. ...
          03-18-2007, 08:10 PM