Framed Photo with Extreme Fading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Framed Photo with Extreme Fading

I found this forum while trying to retouch a family photo. What a great site, and I look forward to participating.

I have this photo that has been in a frame for a long time (>50 years), and except for the red, most of the color has been washed out. I could make something decent with this by cropping the faded part out and just working with that, but I was wondering if anyone had some tips on using the unfaded part to restore the center. I thought about just doing color replacement for each section, but I was hoping someone had some more "automatic" techniques in their paintbox.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Re: Framed Photo with Extreme Fading

Verschell, welcome to RetouchPro. Yes, you can. First crop off any white border around the outwer edge of the photo (you have a little on both sides. Next if possible run a noise filter at a low setting to clean up some of the color noise - hopefully your scan is a better quality than the small file you uploaded.
    OK now use the rect. marquee to draw a selection around the faded center and Ctrl+J to jump it to its own layer. Now go back to the background, select the inverse (everything other than the faded rectangular area and Ctrl J to jump it to its own layer.
    So you have BG at the bottom, non faded area (I will call it frame) as the next layer, and the faded area on top. Clear any selections. Make active that top layer and go
    Image>Adjust>Match Color. For the source, select the current document you have open; for the layer, select the frame (the layer just below) and click OK.
    You should now be in a better position to apply standard adjustments like curves or selective color adj layers, or selective painting to correct some of the colors as required.
    Good luck with the restoration.
    Regards, Murray

Comment

Cool, I haven't tried the Match Color Adjustment.

I will give it a shot and post the results (if anything comes out decent!)

Thanks mistermonday.

Comment

Select the faded area and reduce fade.
        Clone color of jacket to match.
        Clone drapes.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, aartist. That was a long the lines of what I was originally thinking. I might have to fall back to that if necessary. I was looking to see if there might be something along the lines of what murray (mistermonday) poster that I could try first.

Comment

Okay, that color match worked miracles. I wanted to post the results so far since I won't get a chance to play with it more until probably tomorrow.

Obviously, there is a little bit more adjustments to play with along with fixing the border, but it's a much better starting point than I was at before.

Thanks again, Murray.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Verschell View Post
              I was wondering if anyone had some tips on using the unfaded part to restore the center. I thought about just doing color replacement for each section, but I was hoping someone had some more "automatic" techniques in their paintbox.

Thanks in advance.
              Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. Poke around, ask questions, offer help, have fun!

There are tutorials in the 'Tutorial' section of RetouchPRO that may help. They are not "automatic" technique but very effective..:

Restoration Tutorials ›› How to Repair a Light Leak or Stain.

Restoration Tutorials ›› Getting the Ring Out

I think you can have a very nice restoration with this Photo... Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks OlBaldy, I did try some of those first (although not the "repair light leak).

Basically, except for red, all of the color was gone, and so trying to play with levels and curves really got me no where (except the dress, the curtains and face and hair stayed grey). The match color adjustment gave me a lot more to play with than I originally had.

Comment

Good Night !
                  Attached Files

Comment

I used the background to get the colors right,
                    then made a new background and use the brush tool to re-color
                    the face and etc.

Large file also available if wanted.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Lynn and Cupcake! Those look great. I am working right now with the earlier picture I sent (especially as I want to work with this myself - learning experience and all), but you provided nice goals for the skin tone, etc.

Comment