Tough (for me) restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tough (for me) restoration

First of all, I'd like to say hi to the forum. I've learned a lot in the last few days just by reading through the older restoration threads. However, the picture I've attached has me stumped. I've tried several things to mask out the yellow and red-yellow areas and have only had limited success. I'd really appreciate any suggestions offered. Thanks, Nat.
    Attached Files

Re: Tough (for me) restoration

Nat, welcome to RetouchPro. You have some significant damage and much of the color information is missing, but there is a lot you can do. There are a number of different ways to approach this restoration. Others will choose different methods but here is one option for you.
    Duplicate the background. Then in Photoshop go to the Image menu and Image > Apply Image. Select the background layer, the Green Channel, Blend Mode Normal, and OP=100%. This will give you a grayscale view. You will notice that the luminosity is reasonably even with no very dark or light splotches. Now change the Blend Mode of that layer to Luminosity, so you are back to color.
    The image contrast is weak. So add a Levels adj layer on top and compress the histogram each channel independently.
    Above this layer add a new blank layer and set the blend mode to Color. Now select a soft paint brush. Alt+Click to sample a good color (from the image or your color palette, then paint over an adjacent bad color. The color will now blend in and its luminosity will be the same. So here is where all the work comes in. You will need to do a lot of painting to conver all of the damaged areas. You should be able to get a pretty reasonable final result. Good luck with the restoration.
    Regards, Murray

Comment

Originally posted by knotted View Post
      First of all, I'd like to say hi to the forum. I've learned a lot in the last few days just by reading through the older restoration threads. However, the picture I've attached has me stumped. I've tried several things to mask out the yellow and red-yellow areas and have only had limited success. I'd really appreciate any suggestions offered. Thanks, Nat.
      Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. Poke around, ask questions, have fun!

Just a suggestion... Use the green channel and colorize it

A real quick example using Gradient Maps to apply color then using the masks to isolate the colors... This is a hurried sample that could use much better masking but it gives the general idea
      Attached Files

Comment

Reduced fade, sharpened, cloned color.
        Me thinks it was poorly shot to begin with.
        Attached Files

Comment

As usual, I used selective curves method.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by chillin; 07-18-2010, 01:58 AM.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

0lBaldy: I've tried my hand a colorizing images and I just don't have the talent.

chillin: That looks great. I've played with the curves and was able to get acceptable results, but I was not able to create clean masks. Care to share what you did for masking?

Comment

I painted on the mask layer (white or black).
              Attached Files

Comment