Removing a Yellow Cast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing a Yellow Cast

I am retouching this for my sister-in-law, and I was wondering how you would approach this and what your various techniques for retouching it would be. For one, there is a lot of yellow that need to be toned down. I figure that a yellow cast is fairly common with old photos and thought this thread might be helpful.

~T
    Attached Files

Did this really quick.

1. Levels adjustment. - Just used the middle eyedropper on an area I thought would be neutral. It helped correct some of the cast but the colors were still over saturated.

2. Hue/saturation layer - Desaturated the yellow and greens. Also desaturted and darkened the Cyans.
    Attached Files

Comment

Some common steps presuming Photoshop:

i) Use a RGB colour space that does not make the issue worse (assign sRGB if assigning Adobe RGB makes it more intense etc).

ii) Set neutral endpoints (hi + Shadows) and a 'set gray' point too if you can find one (a spot that is presumed neutral, then force it to neutral).

iii) Then if there is a caste left, the quickest method is to generally...

a) Sample the caste colour
      b) Fill a new layer with caste colour, invert the colour
      c) Change to COLOR blend mode
      d) Reduce opacity of layer until you calibrated monitor and by the numbers inspection reveals that the new colour is how you like it (start at 50 opacity, often ranging between 10%-50%).

It can get a whole lot deeper, but that's usually a good way to start.

Regards,

Stephen Marsh.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• gamedonechanged
        Overall colour cast
        by gamedonechanged
        Sometimes when browsing fashion mags I notice the overall image has what I like to call a colour cast or tone. By this I mean it has an overall colour that is consistent, eg a dark blue ect...

Assuming you understand that lax description how can I achieve such an effect?
        Is it...
        08-27-2009, 02:51 PM
      • CarlRetoucher
        Changing the colour of a top
        by CarlRetoucher
        Hi,

Could some one give me some advice on how to match this yellow swatch on this top. I've tried with selective colour and can't get anywhere near it, I'm having trouble with the mid tones and shadows.

Thanks

Carl....
        12-16-2011, 04:38 AM
      • Nezbitten
        Colour Balance issues
        by Nezbitten
        Hi there

This will be the first time ive asked for help. I have this large group shot that has faded. It has lost yellow and greens leaving mostly cyan and red.

I have done many of this type before but this one just seems to escape me. There is a overly cyan cast but when...
        04-14-2018, 06:34 AM
      • Stroker
        PC/Win Plug for colour cast
        by Stroker
        This is the plug-in that I've been working on for the past while. I've been messing with it quite a bit and I'm rather pleased with it. Not just the plug, but the technique that it is based on.

Intro to Curves by Steve.
        See Page 3 for the idea that Colour 2 Colour is based on....
        04-02-2005, 08:18 PM
      • Zeckson
        I need help to check on colour cast
        by Zeckson
        Hello experts,

I would like to request for your kind help looking at this picture attached to see if it has a colour cast of some kind. Many of my friends told me my pictures all have a yellow colour cast on them. Maybe it could be from my Sigma lenses that often give a warm tone to my...
        07-25-2007, 04:41 AM
      Working...
      X