No announcement yet.

This photo is totally challanging...aacckkk

Collapse

Related Topics

Collapse

• erding
    How would you restore this photo?
    by erding
    As you can see numerous marks, scratches and fading.

Any advice on how to restore this photo would be much appreciated. I use CS5.

TIA

Tom...
    09-25-2011, 06:01 AM
  • darter801
    Please give advise on how to restore this photo
    by darter801
    I found a photo of my grand mother who I never got to meet and am trying to see how to restore it and bring the writing back also. Please help I have CS3 on computer but don't have much experience with it.
    Thank you - here is a link to the photo
    http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/646...
    12-27-2011, 01:54 PM
  • Chadwick
    Old wrinklee!!
    by Chadwick
    My old brain has been well addled with trying to restore this old photo. I am trying with PSP but it ends up worse than the original image. Is there anyone that can help me? I would be most grateful.
    Vastrida
    02-08-2006, 10:30 AM
  • Rita
    New here, how do I?
    by Rita
    Hello all! I am new here and am working on restoring some family photos. Here is a photo of my father and his twin brother. I need help fixing the missing information on the face of my uncle. How do I fix this? As you can see there is some information left over but very faded. I am new at PhotoShop,...
    05-19-2006, 01:00 PM
  • marliz
    Rare photo of my mother - Mid 1920s; Impossible?
    by marliz
    I scanned this in grayscale at 600 pixels/inch Resolution, 8 bits, almost 6 X 9 size. It was scanned about fifteen years ago and I've lost the original. I don't know if scanning at 16 bit in RBG at a higher resolution would have helped, but it is too late now.

I've tried "equalize,"...
    03-25-2012, 06:52 PM
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This photo is totally challanging...aacckkk

Once again this photo is my sister and it is so darn cute I have to do something to it to bring from being somewhat blurry...and old looking....HELP!!!!
    Attached Files

Re: This photo is totally challanging...aacckkk

1st try !!!!!!!!
    Attached Files

Comment

Help....lol.....I am having a hard time with this one..
      Attached Files

Comment

For best results, make sure you scan in very high resolution (try the highest setting), use 16 bits per channel (might be called 48-bit), and save it as TIFF or PSD. Do not at any point save it as JPEG.
        You now have the best possible starting point – this will give you less problems with noise, banding, and compression artefacts.

On a new layer (or layers) use healing brush and clone stamp tool to clean up all the dust/damage/scratches. Set the tools to sample current and below.
        Above this layer use Curves adjustment layers to correct brightness/contrast, and use the layer masks to limit the adjustments do different parts of the image (as some parts have faded more than others).

Don't crop it, or start adding effects and sharpening, until you are done and satisfied with the cleanup.

You can keep a desaturating adjustment layer (hue/saturation, vibrance or black&white) set to Color Blend mode on top of your layer stack if you want to keep it black and white during the editing process. If you want to add the old-looking color back in I recommend a gradient map on top, set to Color blend mode (you could sample colours from the original if you wish).

Edit:
        This image is not that badly damaged, and is fairly easy to restore (although all the healing/cloning might be a bit time consuming to get perfect). The fact that the original is slightly out of focus (blurry) is nothing that can be fixed. We can only enhance the details already in the image (using sharpening). How much it can be "enhanced" I can't really tell from the lowres jpeg.
        I've made an attached example.

Edit #2:
        Tip: On the high resolution version, before your cloning/healing, make a copy of the background layer, then use Filter>Noise>Dust & Scratches... and use 1-2 px radius, and a low Threshold. This can save you some cloning as it might remove many of the smallest specs of dust. Check carefully by turning it on/off that it doesn't remove any detail that you want to keep (if it does, you can use a mask to hide the layer in those areas).
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Chain; 10-04-2011, 04:44 AM.

Comment

Thank you so much for the details on restoring photos such as this. I printed out what you wrote and will use it for further photos...It is so helpful to get information from people who really understand the editing programs. Thank you again so very much!!!! I appreciate that you have taken the time for me. Have a Great Week

Cheers~

Comment

There's plenty of colour in here if you work on it.
            Attached Files

Comment

Jaykat can you tell us what size is the original photograph and what were your scanning settings including dpi. bit depth etc.
              Chain is correct you really need the best quality scan you can get prior to attempting restoration.

The restoration itself is not too problematic IMO clean up dust and scratches on the image using your pref. tools you can apply an overall filter but this will tend to soften the image which already is somewhat blurred.

It is difficult to improve on a blurred image but you may be able to suggest an image is sharper by applying local contrast using curves - in this case I isolated the baby face and body with a mask and applied a curve.

I also used Noise reduction via Noiseware to suppress the noise and at the same time sharpen.

IMO you should not be attempting to crop this image as all you are likely to end up with is a bigger more blurred sister

I only did a little healing of the image and much work is still needed. For instance I was unsure about hair detail just over the eyes. Hopefully your much larger scan will reveal what you need to do here.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Tony,

It is a very small photo....I love what ya all did...I think it looks great...and I have been learning so much from a lot of people and taking on challenges on here as well...to get more practice...I am always really hard on editing my photos because I never can get them perfect...hahaha...

Comment

Working...
                X