Is this beyond repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this beyond repair?

This is a rough scan -- I know. First and foremost it needs to be removed from the frame and rescanned (I am in the process of getting the original and scanning it myself). It was emailed to me by someone with the hopes that I could repair it. I am trained in photo restoration, but I do not consider myself an expert -- there is definitely still room for more knowledge. Well, when I was given this photo, I was totally intimidated. Aside from the color, it's very blotchy. My typical and main approaches to restoration are adjusting levels, curves, and repairing with the stamp tool. I would be stamping for days with this picture. While I wait to get the original unframed photo, I figured I'd pick your brains. Can anyone guide me on the best approach/tools to repair this mess?? Thank you in advance!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...ouch/photo.jpg

Re: Is this beyond repair?

This image IMO is not actually a scan but a photograph taken possibly with a compact camera with built in flash. From the look of it I would say that it is in pretty good condition.

So when you get the original you may not have the problems that you think are apparent at this stage.
    Obviously the first thing is to get the very best scan that you can from the print.

To do this you should scan the original aiming for a larger size than you will envisage printing and also scan as 48 bit (16 bit per channel colour) and at a high ppi probably no less than 600 and possibly 1200 ppi. Save the image as a tiff file. This way you will be recording as much information as you can which should help to make the restoration easier to handle

Comment

It will be a nice picture when you are done.
      This is what I did, with a few touch ups.
      Attached Files

Comment

Looks great, Cupcake -- thanks for the inspiration! What methods did you use? I appreciate the end result, as it answers my initial question ("is this beyond my repair"), but I'd like to learn how you got there.

And Tony, I definitely agree that this is not a scan and I hope you are right in predicting that the original will be in better condition. You have a good point, as I'm certain the camera flash did nothing to improve the photo's appearance. Thanks for bringing that to my attention

Again, thank you both.

Comment

Tinkerbella197, I hope that you can get a good quality scan of this and only then will you be able to assess the amount of work required.

It is likely that there is uneven fading of the photographic dyes plus the physical damage. If you are going to restore in colour you will have some additional work to undertake, B&W will be easier so I guess it depends on what the owner wants

Quick play with your image reveals some of the issues you will need to address - no point in going any further until you have your proper scan
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Tony W; 01-04-2012, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Yes, unfortunately she wants it restored in color. I tried to nudge her in the direction of B&W, to make my life easier, but no such luck. As soon as I get the original, I will scan and post it. Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkerbella197 View Post
              Yes, unfortunately she wants it restored in color. I tried to nudge her in the direction of B&W, to make my life easier, but no such luck. As soon as I get the original, I will scan and post it. Thanks again!

Make sure you use a very good scan and scan the photo in colour even though it is black and white.

Comment

The original is I believe colour sergio2263

Comment

Originally posted by Tinkerbella197 View Post
                  This is a rough scan -- I know. First and foremost it needs to be removed from the frame and rescanned (I am in the process of getting the original and scanning it myself). It was emailed to me by someone with the hopes that I could repair it. I am trained in photo restoration, but I do not consider myself an expert -- there is definitely still room for more knowledge. Well, when I was given this photo, I was totally intimidated. Aside from the color, it's very blotchy. My typical and main approaches to restoration are adjusting levels, curves, and repairing with the stamp tool. I would be stamping for days with this picture. While I wait to get the original unframed photo, I figured I'd pick your brains. Can anyone guide me on the best approach/tools to repair this mess?? Thank you in advance!

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...ouch/photo.jpg
                  This photo is not beyond repair at all as a restorer I am surprise you think that though you did mentioned you are not an expert I am not either but this photo is very easily restored that said as long as you use a good scanner or scan the photo in the best possible way it should be restored easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony W View Post
                    The original is I believe colour sergio2263
                    Do you mean the original is in colour?

Comment

Originally posted by sergio2263 View Post
                      Do you mean the original is in colour?
                      Yes if you look at post #5 you will see that I took the original posted image and applied curves to reveal the faded colour. Note I did not try and get anything perfect but just wanted an impression of what may be there - no point in going further with this until a 48bit scan undertaken at high ppi

Comment

Yes the original is indeed in color, as can be seen in the link I provided in my original post (#1).

Comment

opened file when to channels pallet choose the red channel used apply image and choose the blue channel checked the invert box selected softlight from the dropdown menu added a levels adjustment layer clicked the auto button and came up with this.
                          Attached Files

Comment

After your new scan with all automatic adjustments turned off and at a high resolution and larger size... A bit of levels after cropping.... some cleaning up... and I think you will have a fine picture
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by 0lBaldy; 01-05-2012, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Once you have done the things mentioned above if it still does not come how you want it then there is another option and that consists of colouring in the image manually there are not too many colours present so shouldn't be too complicated to sort out but this picture can definitely be restored to a pleasing level.

Comment