Too far gone to fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too far gone to fix?

Hello everyone, first of all I'd like to say thanks to everyone on this forum who has posted help, advice and guides: thanks. I'm a long time lurker, but a first time poster - so go easy on me

Anyway, the core question is this, with reference to the photo in the below link, can it be adequately re-coloured to reasonable standard or is it just too far gone?

I’ve personally been trying to fix it and have been playing around with the levels (Image-->Adjustment-->Level) using a RGB image, the result can also be found following the link.

Unfortunately, as you’ll see my attempts are amateur at best. So if the photo is fixable and anyone has got some suggestions/wants to offer some help, it would be much appreciated.

As a closing thought, I’m far from being anywhere near to a pro with Photoshop (as you’ll have seen from the link ), but I can follow instructions

Thanks Again,
    Mrtiff_SE

http://s1065.photobucket.com/albums/u390/mrtiff_se/

Re: Too far gone to fix?

The original colours in this photo is gone, and if you want it in colour it would have to be recoloured by hand. This is hard to get looking good imho.
    You could try to boost the image heavily using Curves + Vibrance/Saturation to figure out what some of the original colours were.

Personally I would restore this to black and white/sephia and skip restoring the colours.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Chain - It's a downer to hear that the colours have gone and Black/White is the likely way forward.

Does anyone else have an alternative view or wants to give (the same) second/third opinion?

Either way,
      Thanks.

Mrtiff_SE

Comment

I made it a sepia.
        Heal
        Lightly color
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Cupcake; 02-09-2012, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks Cupcake - It's nice to see some color back in the old photo.

I'm guessing your diagnosis is the same Chain, it's too far gone?

Comment

It would take a lot of time and patience...but it could be done.
            Attached Files

Comment

hawkeye60 - how?

Comment

youll have to select different parts and on a different layer add the color you think they would be and blend it to the original image.
                (not saying it will be easy)

Comment

The photo is very easy to colourise I shall upload a colourised sample.

helen

Comment

here is colored version
                    Attached Files

Comment

I've done a quick example sorry I don't have much time just to show it can be colourised.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hi,
                        I've just launched my new website www.marthasdarkroom.com and I'm trying to get awareness going. I could have a look at this for you for free as a test image. Just go to my site and use the upload form to send me the image and I'll sort it for you as a freebie. All I ask is if you're happy with it maybe you could write a sentence testimonial that I can add to the site. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by MarthasDarkroom View Post
                          Hi,
                          I've just launched my new website www.marthasdarkroom.com and I'm trying to get awareness going. I could have a look at this for you for free as a test image. Just go to my site and use the upload form to send me the image and I'll sort it for you as a freebie. All I ask is if you're happy with it maybe you could write a sentence testimonial that I can add to the site. Thanks
                          No need to hijack another thread - feel free to post your link and invitation for a freebie here: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/your-website/

Comment

Sorry, wasn't intentionally hijacking a thread, just offering help with his picture.

Comment

Big thanks to forum users "Dataflow" (added a watermark or is that squiggle part of the damage?) and "sergio2263" for their help so far. If you do get more time, I'd love to see the results (and I'd be happy to put something in your PayPal tips jar).

Apart from seeing the photo come back to life, it's just so great that you people are willing to help a stranger. Thanks again.

MarthasDarkroom: Okay, I'll take you up on your offer and will post the results.

Comment