White haze on old photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White haze on old photo

This is another of the photos that my brother scanned from old prints and with which I am having trouble. In particular, the white hazy look to the photo. There are quite a few that have this problem.

I have tried to follow some of the techniques outlined in the forums (eg converting to CYMK, channels, gradients etc) but I'm obviously not doing things correctly.

Would some kind soul be able to point me in the right direction please? With this attempt (I have tried a few times already without success), I did:

1) Black and White
    2) Brightness and Contrast
    3) Spot Healing
    4) FFT
    5) Gradient
    6) Noise reduction

Thanks
    Anne
    Attached Files

Re: White haze on old photo

I went with the old look.
    Corrected then added some grain & an old frame.
    Attached Files

Comment

if he scanned these in B/W it might be better for them to be re-scanned in color... maybe that (white) haze is bluish or colored and could be corrected using channels

Scanners, textures, scratches, cracks, silvering

Comment

OlBaldy, he can't remember so he is going to re-scan it for me and save as a tiff. My photography ignorance is probably showing here, but if the haze is still white after the re-scan and therefore not silvering as you obviously suspect, could it be an exposure problem?

Thanks for having a go at fixing it Cupcake.

Comment

Well the photo has variable tones throughout so to correct for that you need to add a series of correction layers with layer masks. Use a curves or levels adjustment layer to correct for the haze and make the layer mask black then paint in the adjustment layer with a low opacity soft brush.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Wombo55 View Post
            OlBaldy, he can't remember so he is going to re-scan it for me and save as a tiff. My photography ignorance is probably showing here, but if the haze is still white after the re-scan and therefore not silvering as you obviously suspect, could it be an exposure problem?

Thanks for having a go at fixing it Cupcake.
            After viewing your other post of Mum On Horse which was scanned in color I figure that this one was also scanned in color.. sooo probably lots of work ahead of you for just a small amount of gain... but if they are important to you then time is of no matter...

I had a go at this one also
            Attached Files

Comment