Rstoring Color with Sections Aging Differently

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rstoring Color with Sections Aging Differently

Attached photo hung in a friends store for about 60 years and the effect of aging is obvious. A smaller viewing area in the center left part of the photo to age differently. In fact you will see the aging is in three sections.

I tackled a photo like this several years ago and wound up recoloring a lot of the photo to get anywhere near something that looked like the original would have. As I remember the final product had around 15 layers.

I am seeking advice and ideas as to the best way to approach this project. You can adjust the tonal ranges and establish the balance points, but this is not the complete solution, at least I have found that to be the case for this photo. So, was the brute force method I used before the correct approach, or is there something I am missing?

Morris
    Attached Files

Re: Rstoring Color with Sections Aging Differently

I would do it this way!
    Attached Files

Comment

First I did a levels, brightness/contrast, and black and white adjustment layers. Then I selected just the light portion of the photo and feathered the edge. I copied and pasted that selection into a new layer and did a multiply blend mode at about 50% opacity. I cleaned up the edges of that layer with the eraser tool. When it was looking pretty good, I merged the layers (excluding the adjustment layers) and then finished cleaning it up with the dodge/burn brush. I did a lot of that step in the channels because it was easier for me to see. Hope that's helpful!

IMG_4469-720x576-72ppi.jpg-(1-of-1).jpg

Comment

My thanks to Cupcake and CPorter for taking the time to consider my problem. Suggestions were helpful and very much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
        X