• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Get The Look Right

I started with this:

start.jpg

and tried a bit of restoration, thus:

end.jpg

I'm quite happy with the results, except for one thing - it looks like an old photo!
    (I mean apart from the content). Not sure how else to describe it - almost like it has a sort of general cast to it?

Has anyone got any suggestions? Should it be cooler? Warmer? Colour balanced?

Thanks!

Re: Can't Get The Look Right

I'm not a pro, but maybe this way?

http://i.imgur.com/iKAR7EU.jpg
    Attached Files
    Last edited by flowbox; 12-26-2013, 09:14 AM. Reason: added photo

Comment

The general cast seems to be too red/magenta. As a start (and working on your edit) you could use a curves layer and drag the red channel down as seen in the attachment. Refine as required
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Tony W; 12-26-2013, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Thanks for this guys.

@Flowbox - can you tell me some of the things you've done with yours? You seem to have managed to retain much more detail than my heavy handed processing?

Comment

First of all, I have increased the size of the photo

I worked with clone, spot healing brush , healing brush, I have isolated the background and applied a little bit of gaussian blur, various step in camera raw with photoshop CC ... including little bit of sharpening and noise reduction

Comment

I tried again and I'm happier with this! Thanks for the tips!

CarolineStuartSean2.jpg

Comment

Here's my take on it.
              Attached Files

Comment

It's always a tricky area, but I would go with the original tone of the photograph. It is an old photo, it was not taken with a modern digital and would probably benefit from looking its age. The clothing says late 70's early 80's (no offence intended if the image is later!) I imagine the colouring of the image should also match the style.

Comment

Your red channel is a bit blown, which is typical for the way mini-lab photos from this era would have aged. It's not something that can be done in one adjustment, but I would probably start this way, then make secondary corrections on the highlight areas where there are problems, and pull more red out of the hair. It still looks faded, so I would address that. The brighter clothing should have a bit more detail. Keep in mind for the really nasty compensation for bad channels, channel mixer is your friend for the first round of correction. That's all I really wanted to show here. It can cause some problems. I can see problems in the highlights around foreheads, and it didn't do enough in the hair. It's a good way to start though. I hope that helps.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Subjective colour correction.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
                      Subjective colour correction.
                      I think the background color of this image is worth matching with the persons and looks quite good.

Comment

Thank yu.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                        X