Removing the red spots!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the red spots!

Will all of you restoration experts please take a look at this one. I've only seen a couple of photos similar to this one and really don't have a clue how to begin. I hope that I'm overlooking the obvious.

The red channel is the best one. It mitigates but does not eliminate the problem. What do you guys recommend?

I'm trying to salvage this one for the remaining family members.

Thanks in advance,

Curtis
    Attached Files

Re: Removing the red spots!

After playing around with the photo for a couple of hours I decided to try something radical. Opened the develop module in Lightroom 5.3, converted to black & white and set the red and orange to +100. It's not perfect but I'm at a good starting point, I think.

Opened in Photoshop CC, applied a moderate curve to add contrast, then another curve masked with a gradient to bring out the background bottom right. Will see what comes of this but it's the best solution I've found so far.

Curtis
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Removing the red spots!

Open the file in ACR, convert to B&W and move the orange slider to the far right. Now you can play with exposure, contrast, etc before bringing it into CS. I used dodge and burn to lighten/darken where necessary as well as the clone tool to blend the edges into the BG, selective sharpening and added some colour.

Cheers.
      Attached Files

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• VCOOPER
        Removing Red Spots from Aged Photos
        by VCOOPER
        Working with some photos that are forty plus years, and they have discolored red spots appearing on the photos.

I desperately need help in the spot removal process. I am working in CS 5. The spot healing/clone method would take forever, and will not look so good in the end.
        03-06-2013, 12:40 AM
      • bbsr73
        removing red and blue patches
        by bbsr73
        Hi All,

I am having a photo (attached below) of my parents that is having red and blue pathes all over the photo. I tried to remove them by creating adjustment layes in photshop and playing with curves/hue/saturation/color balance
        but I could not gain much. So can any one pls....
        11-15-2007, 12:28 AM
      • klassylady25
        Removing The Red
        by klassylady25
        This is the original. The corrected has gone back to the video editor, but I would like to know your solutions/suggestions.
        11-30-2006, 11:07 AM
      • Gerald McClaren
        Removing lots of red stains on photo
        by Gerald McClaren
        I would like to know how can I remove these stains. I had used the channel method but I still had a lot of stains.

Gerald McClaren...
        12-16-2007, 12:06 AM
      • curtism
        Removing Stains
        by curtism
        Attached is an almost 70-year old photo of my mother-in-law with uneven staining along with my best attempt at removing said stains. Isn't there a way to remove more of the stains before beginning to clone away the remaining discoloration?

All suggestions welcome!

08-18-2008, 02:12 PM
      Working...
      X