I have one for a challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have one for a challenge

I have rolls and rolls of Ektachrome that I recently scanned. While working through them several dozen rolls that were on a specific trip through Europe have an odd spatter effect. Using CS5, Dust & Scratch at 5px seems to clean some of it up, but muddies the images considerably more than I like.

Anyone have any ideas for something that can be used in BATCH to clean literally hundreds of images?

Scan-140121-0338rt.jpg

Scan-140121-0335rt.jpg

Re: I have one for a challenge

GWild55, Welcome to RetouchPRO
    Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends.
    Poke around, have fun!

Dust and Scratch does a pretty good job... you just need to use a mask.... Don't know of any other shortcuts
    Attached Files

Comment

That looks so much better than any of my attempts. So - I'll bite. How did you create the mask?

ps: assume I'm an idiot with CS5... and that that sample is only only a 500x500 crop of a 5000x3000 image... and there really are hundreds of images - 153 in this single folder I'm working in now, and there are about 50 folders of topics. If you are suggesting a manual paint the spots mask, that won't be practical for me.
      Last edited by GWild55; 02-10-2014, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GWild55 View Post
        That looks so much better than any of my attempts. So - I'll bite. How did you create the mask?

ps: assume I'm an idiot with CS5... and that that sample is only only a 500x500 crop of a 5000x3000 image... and there really are hundreds of images - 153 in this single folder I'm working in now, and there are about 50 folders of topics. If you are suggesting a manual paint the spots mask, that won't be practical for me.
        hello !

unfortunately there is no "general" method you can use on 153 pictures (like a batch/action). you have to do some manual stuff on every one of them

Comment

Rats - thought there might be some trick to exporting a 10px mask of the filtered areas, then apply the 5px filter to the masked areas,

Comment

You can create a mask using 'difference' mode.

Use any noise removal filter on a copy of the background layer, then set it to difference.
            Stamp visible to a new layer. Convert layer to b/w and use any adjustments necessary [levels/curves, etc] to isolate the difference only [the spots.]

Use this as a mask on the noise removal layer.

This still isn't hands free, but at least you don't have to patch each little spot.

Comment

The spots are mildew, and different from one photo to another.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch View Post
                Yes, a mask would have to be made for each scan, but at least each spot wouldn't need to be patched. It's a compromise solution.

Comment

Dust & Scratches in Lighten mode thru a difference mask gives a not too awful result and could probably be actioned fairly easily for batching.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lurch View Post
                    I don't think the spots are mildew. Much too uniform across dozens of rolls of film stored in various ways (boxes to trays). I suspect it's actually from a special x-ray like scanner my film had to pass though once upon a time at an airport far far away. And, did I mention they've always been there?

Here's a sample of fungi on Kodachrome.

Fungus.PNG

One that is a faerie ring :~)

iijfhdhe.png

And a more typical pattern

Fungus2.jpg
                    Last edited by GWild55; 02-11-2014, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashtones View Post
                      Dust & Scratches in Lighten mode thru a difference mask gives a not too awful result and could probably be actioned fairly easily for batching.
                      Flash -

I'm not sure how you got that set up to show a mask of the filter. I've tried a dozen different ways, no success. Can you walk me through how to do that?

Specifically, I can create a mask, but how did you fill it with the detail?

Capture.PNG
                      Last edited by GWild55; 02-12-2014, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Well One set of commands that may work in an action is:
                        Copy Layer
                        Set Blending mode to lighten
                        Move the top layer upward 4 pixels
                        flatten Image.

Comment

Originally posted by GWild55 View Post
                          ...I suspect it's actually from a special x-ray like scanner my film had to pass though once upon a time at an airport far far away. And, did I mention they've always been there?
                          The rings and marking you are seeing are not in my opinion caused by x-ray.

X-ray damage occurs usually in the form of fogging and with colour material can even lead to cross curves making colour correction a little more difficult.

The ring type (and streak) damage you are seeing IMO is actually physical damage to the emulsion. Caused most likely by either poor processing control in the first instance (water or other liquid drops on the emulsion during drying process) or getting water droplets on the emulsion during storage.

Your scans of the ring and other marking show typical results of a scanners directional lighting actually highlighting the 'crater' from the scanners point type light source and throwing a shadow on the oppoisite side.

Scanning twice with a 180 degree rotation between scans can sometimes offer benefits.

Other than that it may be possible to subdue the marking (unlikely to fully remove!) by actually soaking the film again then depending on the film and original chemical process using the last bath for the recommended time, which may be stabiliser solution prior to drying. This could be a risky process depending on age of film so should not be undertaken lightly without fully understanding the original process

Comment

Originally posted by Tony W View Post
                            The rings and marking you are seeing are not in my opinion caused by x-ray.
                            As I said in that reply, those second three clips are issues caused by (I believe) fungus, not ionizing radiation. What caused the myriad of spots in my OP is a subject for a different thread. But they were from ionizing radiation (with pretty good confidence). Another source who has slides afflicted with these "measles" agrees it's not fungus on Ektachrome - an older post on http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru.../t-104754.html

Some of the rings might be processing flaws, they are basically invisible under a flat, or diffuse, light source. Contaminated processing fluid droplets is one other possibility I can't discount.

Unfortunately, the scanner lamp source was not well aligned with the CCD, so any topographical feature in the emulsion is highlighted. But I'm also not looking for automated ways to clean these up - not enough of them to worry about.
                            Last edited by GWild55; 02-12-2014, 09:50 AM. Reason: added reference

Comment

I was responding in general to your remarks relating mainly to the first images you posted

I suspect it's actually from a special x-ray like scanner my film had to pass though once upon a time at an airport far far away. And, did I mention they've always been there
                              Radiation does not cause the dark spotting with the light halos you have posted. But can cause this type of damage
                              http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi.../tib5201.shtml

Comment