Flattening a crumpled photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flattening a crumpled photo

A client brought me a print from about the 1930's that is very crumpled. My first thought is the classic "leave it under a heavy book" technique but wanted to see if anyone had other ideas or anything to avoid. I am also trying to think what I can put between the print and the book to protect it while flattening. Thanks!

Re: Flattening a crumpled photo

I use a very heavy piece of glass. Make sure it is very clean and very dry so there is no chance the print will stick to it. My glass is large, 15 by 20 by about 3/8 inch thick. I have a 3/4 inch thick piece of plywood behind it. The stack is the plywood, a sheet of black art board, the print in question then the glass.

I usually copy with a camera so once its under there, I just go ahead and copy it. If I wanted to scan it, the glass is heavy enough to flatten most prints over time.

If you have to use a book make sure it is clean, dry and place something like blotter paper between the print and the book.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Re: Flattening a crumpled photo

Great, thank you Mike!

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• zea14
        Removing print stuck to glass plate negative
        by zea14
        Our historical society has 1000 5x7 glass plate negatives from 1910 tucked away in the museum. We recently purchased an Epson V700 scanner and started the process of digitizing them. Whoever sorted them years ago put 150 or so in envelopes and some have post-its on the glass (thankfully most are on...
        03-08-2012, 11:38 AM
      • Ed_L
        Custom Print source?
        by Ed_L
        My daughter came home from work with an old photo. It's a picture of her friend's father, and it was made in 1943. Here's the problem: It is 10 X 16 inches, it's printed on a paper that kind of resembles canvas, it's mounted on thin but durable cardboard type stock, and the image is rounded at the top....
        08-18-2002, 07:42 PM
      • hicpics
        Photo Burnt to glass
        by hicpics
        Hey,

I've got some photo's that were burned in a fire, and apparently one of them melted to the glass. The glass shattered leaving fragments attached to it. I've looked around the forums but I can only find one's that got stuck due to humidity. I've tried soaking it in water for a day...
        01-20-2011, 03:24 PM
      • imago
        damaged photo still in frame
        by imago
        I have some large sepia tone photos for retouching that are still in their frames. I am not sure how to proceed.

There appears to be some sort of watter damage in some areas. It is a darkenning under the glass and other areas of splotchy darkenning. I am not sure if I should try to...
        09-05-2001, 06:38 AM
      • Jakaleena
        Scanning Textured Surfaces
        by Jakaleena
        I've always had LOTS of trouble dealing with textured surfaces. Many old photos I've had to work with had surface texturing that could rival the Grand Canyon! N surfaces, and especially E surfaces, make me crazy...

I ran across this tip the other day on a newsgroup (unfortunately I...
        05-20-2002, 06:54 PM
      Working...
      X