Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• photo cracked and faded

Hello,

My names is James. Thank you for letting me join the group. I have been working with photos for just a little bit. Just something to do on the weekend. My neighbor had asked if I could try and fix a photo of his father from Marine boot camp. I have looked around the forum and found a few thinks to try, with no luck. I have tried to use the healing brushes, clone tool, patch tool, and De-crack action. The photo that I have been working on is starting to look unnatural. I don't have access to the photo anymore and cant scan in color. Was wondering if someone could point me in the direction I need to be going. Thank you

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...rine1943-1.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...rine1943-2.jpg

Re: photo cracked and faded

Wow - lots of cracks. First of all, a "de-crack" action and other filters will lose a lot of detail. Filter usage needs to be done carefully and selectively or they blur. For this image I would scan at least 600, IN COLOR (check your channels), work on at 200% and carefully heal and clone. This photo will take a lot of time to restore. Good luck!

Comment

Well this is a problem. I used levels to improve the contrast and then Nik Define to get rid of some of the cracks. I replaced the ground (poorly) with a texture. I thought the marine was standing on grass. I filled in the sky with one color.

James, The texture of your "ground" on your restore does look better than mine I might add. I would recommend on your restore that you remove all the color. And then use a noise reducing app such as Neat Image, Nik Define, or Noise Ninja or similar app. Photoshops reduce noise did not seem to do much.
      Attached Files
      philbach
      Last edited by philbach; 06-07-2014, 02:44 PM.

Comment

nrsm - That is what I thought when I first saw the picture. WOW - lots of cracks. If I can get a hold of it I will try to scan in color. As for the heal and clone, that is what I have been doing. I will just have to take my time. Thank you for the tips.

philbach - Thank you for the complement on the ground. I have been playing around with the levels and curves to brighten it up. As far as I know he is standing on grass. I will have to try the programs that you suggested. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

mpoo21: I have been working on some photos with lots of cracks like this. I use the healing brush for most of it and a Wacom digital pen tablet. Do you have a pen tablet? You just need to work with a small, soft brush and constantly be resampling your healing brush. I usually select a new sample in-between ever brush stroke. Remove the cracks bit by bit. It take time.

Comment

Here is another one.
            Attached Files
            Cupcake
            Last edited by Cupcake; 06-10-2014, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Restoratorium: Thank you for the advice. Yes I have a pen tablet. Still trying to learn how to get used to it, a little different than the mouse.

Cupcake: That looks pretty good. What all did you do?

Comment

You can get use to it by using it on the web all the time.
                The best way to retouch

Comment

mpoo21: yes, i agree with cupcake, use it as much as you can, not just for retouching. I only use my tablet for design and retouch work, but I'v been using it for 3 years now almost every day. I still like to use my mouse for everything else, but while you are learning and getting used to it, I would recommend using it for everything.

Comment