Related Topics

Collapse

X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newspaper photo restoration

This is my first post. I received a newspaper clipping from the 1940s which contains a photo a client would like restored. I work with PS CS6. In dealing with the moire I was going to use Katrina Eismann's technique in her Restoration and Retouching book. I also have some tips about using surface blur and Gaussian blur from the Internet to experiment with. Does anyone have any other tips they could give me in dealing with moire to get the best result? Thanks.

Re: Newspaper photo restoration

Sorry, on previous my terminology is wrong. I should have said newspaper halftone pattern, not moire. I found a photoshop plug in called Fourier Transform. It looks promising.

Comment

I am working on a BW clipping at present for OPR, the blur plus sharpen plus noise reduction routine has given me an excellent start and no issues with moire.

A few web comments suggest that it is more of an issue with a coloured image or perhaps later images where there are more dots per inch.

I did a search on descreening and found a site offering a reasonably priced PS plugin which is claimed to also address moire. The demo version has a size limit and no manual control, on the image I have it produced a result almost identical with the blur/sharpen approach.

Suggest you try blur/sharpen and find out if you have moire, you might be lucky. If not the plugin could be worth a try.

Comment

Should have mentioned, FFT was no use on the clipping I have

Comment

Thank you for your comments. I have spent half the evening playing with this FT plugin. After the trial and error, I finally have the result I was hoping for. A nice sharp image with almost no pattern. I will still try a blur/sharpen as well just to compare.

Comment

You might want to give this a try seemed to be a pretty good process. I used a highpass filter to sharpen set to overlay and then a final with unmask sharp filter seemed to do a good job
            http://www.jasondmoore.com/2010/03/1...spaper-photos/
            Last edited by unimatrix001; 08-18-2014, 03:02 PM.

Comment

I gave it a try. Decent results. Not as good as the results I got with the FT plugin though. Thanks.

Comment

I love this site, it's a great community of photographers. I always find there interesting inspirational ideas. Thanks for this tip. I would also like to share with you an excellent blog for photographers - http://weedit.photos/
                Last edited by MisterR; 07-11-2018, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X