• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with this nurse

Hi folks
    I having trouble working out how to tackle skin and hair on this face
    can anyone suggest how to improve this photo
    thanks
    ( have tried a few things but not to my satisfaction )
    any help would be appreciated..
    Attached Files

Re: help with this nurse

Recovered somewhat .. in an aged way.
    Attached Files

Comment

thanks Gary ,
      this is heaps better ..
      can you tell me how you achieved this ?
      you can email me if you like at [email protected]
      thanks Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Morris View Post
        thanks Gary ,
        this is heaps better ..
        can you tell me how you achieved this ?
        you can email me if you like at [email protected]
        thanks Doug
        Hi Doug.

I used the clone tool and healing brush mostly to cover most of the facial damage, noise removal to soften then separate curves and selective colour adjustments for skin tones. I selected the subject and placed her overtop of a new BG layer and used a couple of pattern layers in soft light mode to give it an aged effect.
        Looking at it again, I did not pay enough attention to the selection and lighting of her face and deformed her smile a bit accordingly. oops.

Cheers.

Comment

Borrowed hat, clothes, hair from internet.... rendered a cloud layer using colors from wall... copied and pasted curtain.... free transformed and masked the above... color correction and some clean up on the pretty lady

PSD here
          Attached Files

Comment

thank you olbaldy great job

Comment

• Separated and mixed colour channels to get the best greyscale possible (saved a colour copy);
              • Made three frequency separation layers and restored each, er, seperately;
              • General clean-up;
              • Cleaned up the colours in the colour copy and put them back in.

(about an hour and a half)

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by byRo View Post
                • Separated and mixed colour channels to get the best greyscale possible (saved a colour copy);
                • Made three frequency separation layers and restored each, er, seperately;
                • General clean-up;
                • Cleaned up the colours in the colour copy and put them back in.

(about an hour and a half)

Always enjoy seeing your work.... Excellent job and Great results!!

I might be a couple months late.... but, we have definitely missed your input the last couple of years.... Welcome Back !

Comment

Not really "back" yet, but thanks for the kind words!

Comment

good job byro thanks for the tips

Comment

Hello byRo,just looking at how you restored this photo and cannot understand alot of it eg frequencey seperation?.....i am currently learning photo restoration by reading a book by Katrin Eismann and have a DVD course by Andy anderson,thought i had learnt alot from this but looking at what you and others do,i have a long long way to go,how did or how are you learning photo restoration,am i missing a better resource?
                      Paul.

Comment

Have a look around and you'll find many people applying frequency separation to retouching (faces, usually) because it allows you divide up the image into high frequency parts (i.e. pores and hairs) and low frequency parts (general face shape).

For restoration work the frequency separation may help you to identify what is due to noise and dirt and what is from the original image.

No quick and easy way to learn. I've been in computer imaging since the TRS-80! (might be before your time!)

Comment

LOL @ byRo... I started with a CoCo1 and wrote all my programs from color computer magazine and saved them on a cassette tape. I was thrilled to upgraded to a CoCo3 and could do everything the big boys could... albeit a bit slower... Times have definitely changed

Comment

Yes, have done some research on frequencey seperation,a very interesting concept,something new i have learnt,thanks.

Comment