Improving Black & White restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improving Black & White restoration

I found this damaged old photo at my mothers. My father is one of the guys in it. I think it dates from the mid 1950's

As you can see it was taken inside a pub or amusement arcade and is very dark with little light except the faces. I have tried to repair and bring out the figures as best as I could, but just managed to make the image very dark and flat.

Any help on how to brighten the image up and make the people stand out a bit more

Thanks in advance
    Attached Files

Re: Improving Black & White restoration

If you want to get some detail in the background, you cold try running a photoshop hdr toning filter on the thing. If there's anything there to bring out, it will reveal it in an oversharpened, hdr-like layer, and you can see if you can blend in the results

Comment

Re: Improving Black & White restoration

You can also try highlights and shadows on a duplicated layer and blend that as necessary.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Ishpho
        More control when making black & white conversions
        by Ishpho
        So i put together a short tutorial pretty much teaching people how to gain even more control when converting an image to black and white.
        Allowing a chance for more control of shadows, highlights and midtones.
        Hope you like
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
        03-16-2011, 10:57 PM
      • nvstyle
        Rich black & white
        by nvstyle
        HELP!!!!

I have been looking for a retoucher that can convert 14 images to rich black and white, but with no luck. Does anyone know of a good tutorial for this? I need to have these done by TOMORROW!!!

Thanks!!!!!
        03-14-2011, 06:53 PM
      • daygraphics
        Black & white
        by daygraphics
        I am working on a portrait and after really cleaning it up, and color correcting it to my satisfaction (and hopefully the customers), the customer tells me he want a nice Black & White for his final. Now that is not always so easy to accomplish after the fact. The subjects were all wearing WHITE...
        02-10-2011, 10:28 PM
      • mantra
        black & white milk
        by mantra
        hi
        i liked some black & white and the white seems just like milk

well i tried to shoot milk with a gray card ,and with photoshop eyedropper tool to sample the white of the milk

after to do a black and white i used a gradient map black and milk white
        08-01-2010, 01:47 AM
      • plove53
        Want to make a YELLOW & WHITE photo
        by plove53
        I was in a bank (wamu) the other day and on the walls was yellow and white photos… no other colors and a bunch of photos that merged. I really liked them and wanted to know if anyone here knows how I can do it? I tried but I’m not getting it… the photos are looking old (old yellow). I guess it...
        11-29-2007, 03:13 PM
      Working...
      X