Improving Black & White restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improving Black & White restoration

I found this damaged old photo at my mothers. My father is one of the guys in it. I think it dates from the mid 1950's

As you can see it was taken inside a pub or amusement arcade and is very dark with little light except the faces. I have tried to repair and bring out the figures as best as I could, but just managed to make the image very dark and flat.

Any help on how to brighten the image up and make the people stand out a bit more

Thanks in advance
    Attached Files

Re: Improving Black & White restoration

If you want to get some detail in the background, you cold try running a photoshop hdr toning filter on the thing. If there's anything there to bring out, it will reveal it in an oversharpened, hdr-like layer, and you can see if you can blend in the results

Comment

Re: Improving Black & White restoration

You can also try highlights and shadows on a duplicated layer and blend that as necessary.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Ishpho
        More control when making black & white conversions
        by Ishpho
        So i put together a short tutorial pretty much teaching people how to gain even more control when converting an image to black and white.
        Allowing a chance for more control of shadows, highlights and midtones.
        Hope you like
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiOOMrSPMqo
        03-16-2011, 10:57 PM
      • nvstyle
        Rich black & white
        by nvstyle
        HELP!!!!

I have been looking for a retoucher that can convert 14 images to rich black and white, but with no luck. Does anyone know of a good tutorial for this? I need to have these done by TOMORROW!!!

Thanks!!!!!
        03-14-2011, 06:53 PM
      • daygraphics
        Black & white
        by daygraphics
        I am working on a portrait and after really cleaning it up, and color correcting it to my satisfaction (and hopefully the customers), the customer tells me he want a nice Black & White for his final. Now that is not always so easy to accomplish after the fact. The subjects were all wearing WHITE...
        02-10-2011, 10:28 PM
      • mantra
        black & white milk
        by mantra
        hi
        i liked some black & white and the white seems just like milk

well i tried to shoot milk with a gray card ,and with photoshop eyedropper tool to sample the white of the milk

after to do a black and white i used a gradient map black and milk white
        08-01-2010, 01:47 AM
      • plove53
        Want to make a YELLOW & WHITE photo
        by plove53
        I was in a bank (wamu) the other day and on the walls was yellow and white photos… no other colors and a bunch of photos that merged. I really liked them and wanted to know if anyone here knows how I can do it? I tried but I’m not getting it… the photos are looking old (old yellow). I guess it...
        11-29-2007, 03:13 PM
      Working...
      X