No announcement yet.

Need advice

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Need advice

    A client brought me the attached picture. I quoted a price to restore it from his online description but I did not see the photo prior to his bringing it to me. The photo is of a home coming queen and a lot of it has been eaten by mold. It was in a cheap frame and has gotten wet. The picture is stuck to the glass. Did I mention that the owner has also broken the glass in the frame and a piece of it is missing? Upon receiving the picture I cleaned the surface of the glass as well as I could. Since it is impossible to remove the picture from the glass without causing further damage I opted to scan the picture through the glass. I knew that the time necessary to restore the image would far exceed my quote so I suggested that I remove the subject from the background and place her on a different one. By doing this I was able to concentrate on the subject and not the background. I cleaned up the subject as best I could but found I could not reconstruct the pageant crown because it was eaten by mold. I suggested that I replace the crown with a royalty free one downloaded from the internet. This was acceptable to the client and I completed the job and sent a proof. The client was happy with the result but did not like the crown I chose. He suggested another and submitted a picture of a prom queen wearing a crown he liked. I found a crown that was similar, removed the first crown and replaced it with the second. I advised the client that this added more time to the restoration and billed him for the additional. The client was upset and asked me to remove the crown in an obvious attempt to save money, (even though the work was done) and just make the picture of the subject. I advised him I could do that but the job would not be as simply removing a hat because by removing the crown I would have to rebuild the subjects head where the crown was. Again an unhappy client. However, in order to make things more acceptable to him I discounted the project by 20%. That's my story now the advice I'm looking for is this. . . I obviously mishandled my quote. What would have been the best way to let the client know his many requests were exceeding the quote. He obviously thinks he can ask the restoration be "tweaked" and changed without having to incur a cost for the time spent in doing that for which he asks.
    I was not happy with The final result, (with the rebuilt hair). I had a great deal of trouble making it look natural. I've tried the clone stamp which retains texture but it still looks too smooth. Advice is always appreciated.

Related Topics


  • Bug
    Stuck photo to glass
    by Bug
    Could someone please tell me a do-it-yourself method to unstick the picture from the glass? The top 1/2 to 2/3rds of the picture is fine but starts sticking on the bottom portion. It is an old color school days picture from somewhere in the late 70's or early 80's. Thanks for any help I can get....
    05-27-2011, 11:18 AM
  • pixeltickler
    Stuck picture - please help.
    by pixeltickler
    Hi All

    I know you are the ones to help me. I want to do a retouch/restoration of a picture for my neighbor, but when I went to take the picture out of the frame it was stuck to the glass . How do I get the picture off of the glass withoug damaging it any more than it already is?
    07-17-2004, 11:40 PM
  • doyt
    How best to remove photo stuck to glass?
    by doyt
    My daughters high school photo was placed in a frame without any matting. Now it is stuck to the glass of the frame. I'm afraid that if I try to remove it the photo emulsion will peel off the photo and ruin it. I have tugged at it a little and this is what's happening.

    I have contacted...
    09-09-2010, 05:31 PM
  • klassylady25
    Before and After
    by klassylady25
    This is a picture of my father-in-law. He was 18 in this picture. He is of the Ponca-Otoe Missouria tribe. His father was Ponca and Mother was Otoe Missouria. Remembering and capturing his complextion was the hardest part.

    I prefer black and white, but keep my hand in colorization,...
    06-18-2006, 10:48 PM
  • bcarll
    Glass Pics
    by bcarll
    Just as I said I was going to start doing restoration work for profit I get one that has me confused. Two seperate pictures in glass from the mid 30's. One is OK but the one picture is broken in several pieces. These are both portrait type photos(husband and wife) professionally done and set in a sparkle...
    01-19-2007, 08:56 AM