Old photo before and after

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old photo before and after

My wife gave me this photo to restore (it's the last photo of her dad, who died in the late 1960s). I'd never restored a photo before, and it took about six months of working on it in my spare time. I then had it printed 8x10 and framed for her. Just thought I'd share.
    Attached Files

Re: Old photo before and after

Just beware of creating cloning and brushing 'patterns' where you retouched the damage. Well done though and I'll bet the missus was pleased.

Comment

Really, really nice job, especially if this is your first restore. Kudos to you!
      The following is just an FYI if your interested in honing skills. I'm not sure what methods you used to restore, but thought the photo could benefit from 1) general curve adjustments, 2) a little more attention to detail, (bottom area between sleeve, lips, and shadow areas that could use some selective darkening) 3) some targeted adjustments, such as eyes, buttons etc. and 4) some general dodge and burning to enhance brights and shadows. PS. Only a personal opinion, you did great

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I may work on it some more (it's been several years since I 'finished'). I knew it wasn't perfect, but I really got tired of working on it... lots of cloning of little, tiny flaws (the scan was about 3000x4000 pixels). Also, I had just bought PS6 and didn't know it too well (I'd finally made the switch from Corel PhotoPaint, which I'd been using for 10-or-so years). I also tried colorizing it, but was never able to get the skin tone right... might work on that again, too.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart's Hat View Post
          Thanks for the comments. I may work on it some more (it's been several years since I 'finished'). I knew it wasn't perfect, but I really got tired of working on it... lots of cloning of little, tiny flaws (the scan was about 3000x4000 pixels). Also, I had just bought PS6 and didn't know it too well (I'd finally made the switch from Corel PhotoPaint, which I'd been using for 10-or-so years). I also tried colorizing it, but was never able to get the skin tone right... might work on that again, too.
          Great restoration. I hope you don't mind I've done a quick colourize on your photo just for practice's sake.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/16685560732/

Thanks

helen

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart's Hat View Post
            My wife gave me this photo to restore (it's the last photo of her dad, who died in the late 1960s). I'd never restored a photo before, and it took about six months of working on it in my spare time. I then had it printed 8x10 and framed for her. Just thought I'd share.
            Great job.

Comment

Originally posted by sergio2263 View Post
              Great restoration. I hope you don't mind I've done a quick colourize on your photo just for practice's sake.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/16685560732/

Thanks

helen
              Nice job Helen.

Comment

Working...
              X