Very red frame faded photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very red frame faded photo

I am attempting to restore a group of old photo's for my parents and each one has quite severe frame fading on them. One particular photo also have a very heavy redness do it, i can seem to fix the outside fading quite well but i am finding fixing the more heavily faded center to be very difficult. I was hoping that someone could have a go at it for me and possibly give me a step by step so that i can hopefully fix any other ones i come across, i am currently using photoshop so if any correction and guides could be done using photoshop it would also be highly appreciated. Thank you so much for helping me out in advance.

Since the photo exceeds the maximum filesize for the forum i have linked the photo here: http://postimg.org/image/ev53s84o9/

Edit: As requested i have added a 100kb version for future forum purposes. but please use the URL link if possible as it is of higher quality. I have also edited this image to have the outside closely matching what it would actually be for everyone to gauge there work against.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TheNeglected; 04-20-2015, 03:03 PM.

Re: Very red frame faded photo

I couldn't find any shortcuts for this one, I'm afraid. I started with white balance adjustments and then went to work trying to get the inner image's luminosity to match the outer parts - limited success. From there it was a lot of cloning and skin work, which I would say was only partially successful.

I'm sure others have a more straightforward approach to this kind of issue, otherwise its too much work if you have a batch of scans to get through.

Cheers,

Kevin
    Attached Files

Comment

TheNeglected, Welcome to RetouchPRO
      Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends.
      Poke around, have fun!
      If you use Photoshop you can post fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the 'save for web' function in Photoshop as described here:
      Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)

How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads:
      (Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread,(as you did here), but also please attach an under 100K version (so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links). Be sure to link to the highest resolution.. or the largest size you can upload.

The Tutorial section here (in the bar above... Site Nav>Tutorials) there are some helpful suggestions for your problem:
      How to Repair a Light Leak or Stain
      Getting the Ring Out
      Color Cast by Numbers
      Quick Fix for Severe Colorcast

Hope this helps some

Comment

I used the same approach as Kevin. That is to balance the luminosity first between the photo within the circle to that of the outside. Next to adjust color and finally to colorize parts of the inner circle. Not an easy approach.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, i will leave the post open for a while to see if anyone can improve the image even more. but definitely thanks for all the help so far.

Comment

Originally posted by kmccormi View Post
            I couldn't find any shortcuts for this one, I'm afraid. I started with white balance adjustments and then went to work trying to get the inner image's luminosity to match the outer parts - limited success. From there it was a lot of cloning and skin work, which I would say was only partially successful.

I'm sure others have a more straightforward approach to this kind of issue, otherwise its too much work if you have a batch of scans to get through.

Cheers,

Kevin
            Thanks a lot Kevin that looks great. just a few comments for you or anyone else, i have uploaded another picture with a better representation of the outer area, in it the lady on the left would be more of a ginger, the lady on the right would be brunette and the man would be dark brown, also there eyes would be blue and the mans coat would be a dark beige. other than that your basically spot on.

i really hope to hear back from you this one

Comment

Tried a different approach to match luminosity. Still lots of issues with colour and skin tones, but it looks better (I think).

Cheers,

Kevin
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kmccormi View Post
                Tried a different approach to match luminosity. Still lots of issues with colour and skin tones, but it looks better (I think).

Cheers,

Kevin
                You know what i don't think it can possibly be much better than that. Only thing i can say that i completely forgot to mention before is that the man actually has his tongue sticking out in the photo, so you can actually see his top teeth and tongue. Sorry about that bit.

Comment

Can it be b/w? lol
                  Attached Files

Comment

Can it be b/w? lol
                    I took a crack at this over the afternoon, and didn't get very far. I actually think converting to B/W and colorizing makes sense here.

Also, I think the JPEG compression might be making it rough to perform color adjustments, especially in the brighter area. Do you have an uncompressed version you can upload for us to mess around with?

Comment