Grey Shadow On picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey Shadow On picture

I restored this picture for a friend but now she said there's a grey shadow on the left side of the face. I didn't do anything to make that shadow I think it's part of the exposure. Can anyone help me fix it? I'm also posting the original.

Thank you
    Attached Files

Re: Grey Shadow On picture

I see her point. It's pretty obvious if you look at the thumbnails side-by-side. Add a 50% gray layer, set it to soft light blend mode, and paint on it with a 10% flow large soft brush. Lower the opacity of the layer if you want to reduce the effect.

You also muddied up the highlights on her forehead and cheek. Use above steps with a black brush for those.

But better than either of those: retrace your production steps to discover where you distorted the tones.

You also lost some image detail, particularly in the hair. I suspect blurring, but that's just a guess.
    Learn by teaching
    Take responsibility for learning

Comment

Thank you Doug, could you help me get rid of the white spots on forehead, cheeks, nose etc. The grey layer worked well. I'm new at this.

Comment

Oops forgot to post new one.

Comment

Blocked-highlights are tricky, as there's no detail there to adjust or burn. I'd use Color Range to select only those blocked up highlights. Then, with the selection still active, make a Color Fill adjustment layer and select a skin tone right next to the blocked-up area. Blur the mask a bit with Gaussian Blur to soften the edges, then reduce the opacity to taste.
          Learn by teaching

Comment

I gave it a shot....not great and looking colorized but improved.
            Attached Files

Comment

Yes, colorization could fix the problem.
              Attached Files

Comment

Wolfman that's really good how did you color it?

Comment

Wow the colorization is fantastic. I'm having problems with the huge white blotches.

Comment

I converted to BW, used curves (and masks) to adjust the contrast then painted on separate layers in colour mode.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ab Martin View Post
                      Wow the colorization is fantastic. I'm having problems with the huge white blotches.
                      C'mon guys. Don't just run rings, explain what you're doing.

See if the attachment helps. NOTE: this is just one of many possible ways to approach this, actually a quick & dirty way.
                      Attached Files
                      Learn by teaching

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Nelson View Post
                        C'mon guys. Don't just run rings, explain what you're doing.

See if the attachment helps. NOTE: this is just one of many possible ways to approach this, actually a quick & dirty way.
                        Great video. Well done!

I am one of those that uses pretty much of all that PS has to offer (plus plugins of course..) and subjectively retouch to my 'slant' on the particular project while trying keeping in mind, the OPs original request. However, it usually ends up with ,' Hey! That feels good. I'll post it just to offer a different perspective'.

My dilemma is trying to explain what I did but I do try retrace my approach in more detail ... when asked. My problem(s) is, a short-term memory and no video record. That's not fair I know 'cause most of what I know now was gained from these types of forums and those members that shared. I appreciate that.

Accordingly, I will try to help anytime... again, when asked. I have that approach from experience as many times, I never know if the OP has even seen any of the posts!

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by ab Martin View Post
                          Wolfman that's really good how did you color it?
                          Mostly I painted in the gray areas on the skin with a brush on a layer set to color
                          blending mode with the color from the skin that wasn't gray and then adjusted
                          the overall skin color with HSL in camera raw...same thing with the hair and lips.
                          After that I did some repair and smoothed out some of the tonal transitions with frequency separation.

It's not really complete.....some areas still need some work.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
                            I converted to BW, used curves (and masks) to adjust the contrast then painted on separate layers in colour mode.
                            You color is fantastic. How did you achieve such great colors or did you just do a shot in the dark?

Comment

Have you seen the RetouchPRO LIVE show on colorization?
                              Learn by teaching

Comment