Blueing in scanned photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blueing in scanned photo

I have scanned in some old colour photos and found that colour has broken down in some places giving blue marks. I have heard that the chemistry in the photo breaks down leaving blue spots, which seems to be exacerbated by scratches and oils from the finger. Question is, how to fix. Colour Noise reduction only helps a little (I use lightroom and Photoshop). Attached is a sample without any noise reduction. I understand luminosity and colour masks, but unsure what would work in these examples. Reference to a workflow would help.
    Attached Files

Re: Blueing in scanned photo

I am a also a great fan of ImageJ and the FFT technique for removing paper patterns from photos. I note with interest something called Colour Deconvolution. I will look into that and see if it helps.

Comment

Tried it with the Color deconvolution plug-in

~~~~~~~ Original ~~~~~~~ Deconvolution Settings ~~~~~~~ Final Tweeked a bit ~~~
      Attached Files

Comment

Interesting! I utilised a deconvolution plug-in with Image J and removed the blue but the luminosity of the blue remained. This is great. I suspect I should download the trial on my mac and see if I can get it to work.

I have techniques that minimises the blue, but not like this.
        Cheers
        s

Comment

Hmmm, the plug-in is Windows Platform only. I would be happy to donate if it worked, but unfortunately this will not help me as I run no windows emulation either.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• Jeanne C
            Help restoring original colours to this photo?
            by Jeanne C
            Hi there, someone as asked me to restore this photo for them and I have no idea how to go about fixing the colour in it. They do not want it converted to black and white, instead they want the original colours brought back (and obviously the green and magenta casts gone). If anyone could walk me through...
            08-28-2018, 07:16 PM
          • Big Red Bird
            Faded Image With Nasty Blue Colour Cast
            by Big Red Bird
            Hi All,

I have been lurking on the forum for a while, but this is my first post, so please be gentle with me.

I have an old faded photo that I am looking to restore. Having read many many threads on this forum I have been trying for some weeks now to improve this one, but...
            03-17-2011, 05:18 AM
          • xinvux
            getting rid of this purple mark on old photo
            by xinvux
            Hi, i'm new to photoshopping old photos. i am trying to retouch an old photo and am stuck at this point:
            there are some kind of purple/blue-ish patches all over the photo, (see attached image) how do i go about getting rid of it?

any help is greatly appreciated!!
            thanks in...
            02-05-2012, 03:02 PM
          • Stroker
            PC/Win Plug for colour cast
            by Stroker
            This is the plug-in that I've been working on for the past while. I've been messing with it quite a bit and I'm rather pleased with it. Not just the plug, but the technique that it is based on.

Intro to Curves by Steve.
            See Page 3 for the idea that Colour 2 Colour is based on....
            04-02-2005, 08:18 PM
          • frankwil
            Getting Rid of Blue Iridescence From Old Photo
            by frankwil
            I've scanned this photo into Photoshop CS6 (Mac) and have already fixed blemishes, but I have no idea as to how to remove the blue iridescence from what should be the blackest parts of the pic. This showed up as a sheen on the original photo. I would like to leave all other colors exactly as they are....
            03-11-2013, 06:52 PM
          Working...
          X