Restoring old photo WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring old photo WIP

Hey, im looking for some advice on what else I can do to improve my photo restoration edit.

The only thing that was done was auto color/tone/contrast. levels and removed cracks. This pretty much the extent of my restoration abilities. Any other advice what can be done to make this better?

Images linked here
    http://imgur.com/gallery/FEFno/new

Re: Restoring old photo WIP

Ops sorry, I thought I clicked the restoration forums, can admin move my thread over plz?

Comment

Your results look very good. The only thing I would do is to bring out her eyes a bit more because they are in deep shadow. Duplicate the retouched layer and set it to screen mode then add a black mask to it. With a soft white brush set to a flow of 1, paint in over the eyes making sure they still look natural.

Comment

Your color palette looks strange to me. I suggest checking other images from this period, but here's what I would do for a first round of color adjustment. After that I would probably do a little more on individual parts. Some parts in yours are quite saturated, then the skin is a strange color. I'm looking at this on my notebook, so I might still be a little off. Even here I'm starting to pick up too much magenta in the roof and dirt. I have to be really careful with the global stuff.

Keep in mind this is just a couple minutes with global color layers. Auto color and contrast are a very bad idea. You should forget they even exist. It looks a bit darker than I intended in the browser. If I was doing a final version, I would have done something other than than use levels to compensate for the fading.
        Attached Files

Comment

mapper3d, I think you did a great job.... !
          Welcome to RetouchPRO
          Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends.
          Poke around, have fun!
          Looking forward to seeing lots more of your fine work

Just one thing to help the forum... If you use Photoshop you can post fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the 'save for web' function in Photoshop as described here:
          Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)
          The save for web function in the latest Photoshop is hidden under File>Export>Save for web (legacy)

How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads:
          (Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread (as you did here), but also, always please attach an under 100K version (so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links). (link to the highest resolution.. or the largest size you can upload)

Here is my try and a work flow...
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys and the heads up 0lBaldy.

Yeah, I agree the color does look off. I was surprised that auto color was able to take the yellow out as it was..

But this was a scan of a printed scan of the original pic.. lol I cleared up a few more things and we printed, they are happy so that fine for me now.

My other kinda of photoshop editing stuff is here if ya wanted to check that out OlBaldy Its more fantasy style.

http://www.lyledunlop.com/

Comment

Originally posted by 0lBaldy View Post
              mapper3d, I think you did a great job.... !
              Welcome to RetouchPRO
              Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends.
              Poke around, have fun!
              Looking forward to seeing lots more of your fine work

Here is my try and a work flow...
              I quite like that result OlBaldy, it looks much more natural and sharp.. I can see mostly what you did in your layers, did you use any other menu filters?

Comment

Originally posted by mapper3d View Post
                I quite like that result OlBaldy, it looks much more natural and sharp.. I can see mostly what you did in your layers, did you use any other menu filters?
                Only on the top combined all layer (Shft+Ctrl+Alt+E) which I experimented by using Filter>Sharpen>Shake Reduction instead of sharpening... it left it sort of splotchy which is why the Opacity on that layer is lowered quite a bit

Comment