Thin Scratches In Grainy Image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thin Scratches In Grainy Image

Good morning, can anyone help me please? I am restoring a black and white print dating back to the early 1960's which has a fairly grainy sky. There are some scratches in the sky which look as if they may have been made when the negative was squeegeed after washing. I have attached a 100% enlargement of two of the scratches (top & bottom in the attachment), which I hope shows what I mean sufficiently clearly.

I have tried lots of ways to get rid of the scratches, spot healing brush, pixel nudging, patch tool, dust & scratches/history brush etc but nothing has worked to the extent that the repairs are not/will not be visible in the final print (to be 7x5" / 13x18cm in size).

Does anyone have any suggestions please as to what else I can try to remove both the scratches and any evidence they were there please? Many thanks, Smudger 7
    Attached Files

Re: Thin Scratches In Grainy Image

Hi Smudger7.

You could try copying the colour closest to each scratch and using a brush size slightly bigger than the scratch you are going to cover,add a new layer, just paint that colour over it, then apply some noise to the painted layer and get it to blend with the existing noise thats in the image.

Comment

Frequency separation, and clone with 100% hard round brush on the top layer.

Comment

Many thanks to you both; I will give both of them a try.

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• jasosmith
          Dust / Scratches without losing sharpness
          by jasosmith
          The image attached has some severe Dust and Scratch problems.

I had a crack at it by using the Dust and Scratches filter untill most of the major ones disappeared. I then set the blending mode to Darken.

It hasnt done a bad job - but there a still a lot of visible scratches...
          12-16-2005, 09:32 PM
        • jaxx
          Quick Technique for removing multiple scratches
          by jaxx
          I am fairly new to restoration and need help with this image. I posted a cropped example to point out the many scratches that need fixed. I find that when I scan my images, I notice tons and tons of small thin scratches. For a while I have been going through by hand with the healing brush fixing them,...
          05-06-2009, 12:47 AM
        • twinkissed
          Silvering: Ack What do I do with this
          by twinkissed
          I've been trying just using clone and heal brush with no luck. This is from a feather boa and then part of a belt buckle. It's only a portion of the photo. It looks as if every place that would have been black or dark brown if it hadn't been in sepia now has these light brown spots. The reason I say...
          11-01-2005, 09:47 AM
        • dipech
          Help with white splotches?
          by dipech
          Hi Everyone!

Wondering the best way to go about cleaning up these white scratches, etc. I've tried the noise filter define selective, but it didn't help so much, painting over with the brush tool, the clone stamp, etc. It ended up looking very blotchy and I'm starting again from this...
          02-26-2004, 05:23 PM
        • tangerine
          speckles, speckles and more speckler
          by tangerine
          I am fairly new to this, so I've been given lots of photos from friends and relatives who 'hope I can make this look better'. Often the image is very speckled when I see it in photoshop. Other than the despeckle filter and the healing tool, (which gives only so-so results) I don't know of a way to remove...
          01-17-2004, 07:45 PM
        Working...
        X