Thin Scratches In Grainy Image

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thin Scratches In Grainy Image

Good morning, can anyone help me please? I am restoring a black and white print dating back to the early 1960's which has a fairly grainy sky. There are some scratches in the sky which look as if they may have been made when the negative was squeegeed after washing. I have attached a 100% enlargement of two of the scratches (top & bottom in the attachment), which I hope shows what I mean sufficiently clearly.

I have tried lots of ways to get rid of the scratches, spot healing brush, pixel nudging, patch tool, dust & scratches/history brush etc but nothing has worked to the extent that the repairs are not/will not be visible in the final print (to be 7x5" / 13x18cm in size).

Does anyone have any suggestions please as to what else I can try to remove both the scratches and any evidence they were there please? Many thanks, Smudger 7
    Attached Files

Re: Thin Scratches In Grainy Image

Hi Smudger7.

You could try copying the colour closest to each scratch and using a brush size slightly bigger than the scratch you are going to cover,add a new layer, just paint that colour over it, then apply some noise to the painted layer and get it to blend with the existing noise thats in the image.

Comment

Frequency separation, and clone with 100% hard round brush on the top layer.

Comment

Many thanks to you both; I will give both of them a try.

Comment

widgetinstance 175 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X