How do I get orange mildew stains off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get orange mildew stains off

How do I remove orange mildew (or small creature excretion) stains from an originally B&W picture without altering the unstained area?

I'm reasonably good with Photoshop and restoring old photos, but this one has me stumped.

This (and several others like it) were not kept in a dry area. And, they were in this environment for 50+ years. If it weren't for the orange staining they are reasonably good images, but of course, they are useless in this condition.

Amazingly it appears this photo forum doesn't provide for posting pictures bigger than sketches, so here's a link:

http://oi68.tinypic.com/2cfd4p3.jpg

Re: How do I get orange mildew stains off

Hi Jamjim

Looking at the image, i would convert it back to black and white to begin with and use the sliders until you get a balance black and white.
    Increasing the yellow slider can remove a few of the stains , but then its going to be cloning, healing , patching and what tool suits each part best.
    I try not to use the filters like, dust and scratches, median etc and use the original textures from the image to fill in what needs to be done, but if you try those as well it may help you.

Comment

DNB and lots of it. Like this LINK TO PSD

But, obviously, you have a much easier task ahead, as there are no areas with 100% damage.

Comment

I used the red channel.

B/W then color
        Attached Files

Comment

And now we have a lot more contrast, and a lot more stains.

Comment