Overall browning of photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overall browning of photo

Hi, I am restoring old photos. I have one that was scanned from a negative and another from a print (same person, same time, almost same location). The scan from the film came out great, however the print has an overall brown that I cannot seem to adjust for properly. It appears the browning is more in the darker areas than the lighter areas. Effectively I need a different white balance for the darks, mids and lights. I have lightroom CC and Photoshop CC and after a great deal of experimentation have not found an approach that has worked so far. Any ideas?

BTW, some prints I have there are no negatives for hence the question.

I have attached the two scans for reference.

-Steve
    Attached Files

Re: Overall browning of photo

How about adjusting color manually using masks?

What you got right now is pretty good anyway, so you might not even need to do that.

Comment

Hi Skookbey, adjusting via luminosity masks is a thought. I will look into that on the weekend, it is a workflow I am not used to. I believe there are Actions out there that give me a variety of masks automatically which may help. I was hoping there was one of those thousand hidden features in PS where it would be simpler.

Comment

I am yet to encounter a "hidden feature". :P

Comment

Related Topics

Collapse

• thomasgeorge
          1885-1920 Modern photos emerge
          by thomasgeorge
          There is really nothing magic about the date 1885, except that around this time photography began to evolve into the state we know it today. Prior to this time, the Albumen Photograph ruled as the foremost photographic technique, but waiting in the wings, largely due to advances in making dry plate...
          04-05-2002, 12:02 PM
        • Fazools
          Sex Lube and Old Photographs!!
          by Fazools
          Ok. This is not a tutorial as much as it is a chance for you to see what happens when you get creative and are able to sacrifice your original photo.

I found this photo of my grandfather with a girl he had met in the war in Italy, I am almost sure that the pic is a Calotype based on...
          04-29-2006, 12:29 AM
        • ProAc_Fan
          headstone photo help
          by ProAc_Fan
          I've been enlisted by a family friend to create a 4X6 print to be used on a headstone. I was given a rather underexposed ( backlit) 5X7 print from about 15 years ago. I scanned the print at 600 dpi and extracted the deceased lady from the shot. I think I can do a decent job correcting the exposure but...
          03-05-2007, 04:40 PM
        • aldago
          Need Help Restoring Old Photo
          by aldago
          I have attached two photos: an original that I scanned into my computer and an edited version in which I simply adjusted the brightness and contrast of the original. The original is over 50 years old and was undisturbed in a box with other photos. There seems to be something clinging to the surface...
          07-05-2011, 04:38 PM
        • KBS
          Correcting overexposed whites areas
          by KBS
          How can I correct this photo that is overexposed? The white areas are totally lacking in detail and "blown out". When printing, there is no ink at all on the paper, it looks really bad. After scanning photo, I've tried adjusting levels, color cast, brightness, highlights/shadows and nothing...
          07-28-2005, 10:30 PM
        Working...
        X