How to remove banding effects - film problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove banding effects - film problems

I've attached a scan of a negative with some horrible banding that is on the neg and is caused either by film fault or problems during developing. Any ideas on how to remove them? The ship is long scrapped, so I won't get the chance to photograph her again!
    Attached Files

Re: How to remove banding effects - film problems

Hi gthrusby

I did the top two lines using Content Aware Fill around the lines and also the spot healing brush. I think it helps some. Of course the lines going through the ship are more time consuming and leaving that to you.

Hope this helps

John
    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks. I'm not familiar with Content Aware Fill. Is it a Photoshop feature? I use a Mac program Affinity which is roughly a Mac Photoshop equivalent. Does it involve masking relevant area?

Comment

Hi gthursby

There may be other ways to achieve the same result yet here are my steps

- On a pixel Layer, select (with the desired selection tool) the area that you want adjusted. I initially just selected a reasonable area around the horizontal line
        - Use command Edit > Fill and in the dropdown select the Content Aware option.

The above by itself did really well in the result yet I in backing out from the image, some areas did not seem random enough in the tone of the sky so I went over those areas with the Spot Healing Tool.

I am not familiar with all the options in Affinity Photo to do the same so cannot give recommendations to you for that sofware.

Hope the additional information is useful

John

Comment

Thanks a lot for this advice. I'll do a bit of searching on Google etc to find out if there is an Affinity equivalent of Content Aware.

Comment

I just used rubber stamp tool set at 40% opacity, soft brush and changing source point often. After which I used the ruler tool to align the horizon and rotated using the arbitrary and added bg to the white areas due to the rotation.
            Attached Files

Comment

A bit late coming in here, but Affinity has an Inpainting brush which works like a content-aware fill or healing brush. It is on the toolbar down the left-hand side, but may be hidden under another tool.

It may also be worth trying the FFT filter in Affinity: Filter>Noise>FFT. It often works on horizontal or vertical bands.
              Last edited by John Rostron; 08-23-2017, 01:10 PM.

Comment

I did a frequency separation and brushed out the banding on the low frequency layer and then used the healing brush on the high frequency layer to remove the more detailed lines........ 5 minutes.
                Attached Files

Comment

Interesting. I had watched the Frequency Separation video and was wondering about a practical application for it. There are connections to the FFT so it would be a logical approach. Anyway, it seems to have worked for you.

Comment

I put a copy of picture on top layer
                    Change it to screen
                    adjust it for light
                    then drop layer to bottom
                    adjust darks with levels
                    Attached Files

Comment

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I haven't been on the forum for a while.
                      I used 2 techniques - the first stage was to mask the banded area and use curves to reduce the banded area intensity to as near as I could to the adjacent layer. This was OK but produced a line at the join between the 2 areas, so I used Affinity's inpainting brush with a large feathering value to smooth out this line.

Comment